• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Crash Testing?

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since it appears that EM has been transparent so far with the development of the Elio, does anybody think that Elio will show the public the actual crash video? I suspect they won't if it doesn't meet their expectations, which makes me question why not crash the first or at least the second E series as soon as possible to confirm the design.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am not oppose to reasonably priced safety devices. I am opposed to absolute statements which ignore the costs. You have to know that for every additional dollar of cost, someone or few go past their economic point of diminishing returns and must defer purchasing the item.

The Elio will be as safe as practical for the price targeted. But expecting $20,000 in safety devices would defeat the price target and all the benefits that brings. I'm quite happy with those already proposed and add a few more if they don't cost too much.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since it appears that EM has been transparent so far with the development of the Elio, does anybody think that Elio will show the public the actual crash video? I suspect they won't if it doesn't meet their expectations, which makes me question why not crash the first or at least the second E series as soon as possible to confirm the design.

E1A went to Continental, the makers of the ABS braking components for the Elio. I suspect they want the ABS timing and other pieces in place before they do any more complicated tests (especially track testing--gotta keep your driver safe!). For the destructive testing, it wouldn't surprise me if they needed to know the Elio's typical braking distance and high-speed brake/skid characteristics before they could develop the protocals for the crash test. But I don't really know what goes into those tests.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am not oppose to reasonably priced safety devices. I am opposed to absolute statements which ignore the costs. You have to know that for every additional dollar of cost, someone or few go past their economic point of diminishing returns and must defer purchasing the item.

The Elio will be as safe as practical for the price targeted. But expecting $20,000 in safety devices would defeat the price target and all the benefits that brings. I'm quite happy with those already proposed and add a few more if they don't cost too much.

Because of the design of the frame, I am hoping the Elio is as safe or even safer than most other 3 or 4 wheel vehicles currently on the road today.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I was in charge of a car company, I would not show any videos of the vehicle crashing even if it was a test. I suspect it would create the wrong subconscious feeling.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I was in charge of a car company, I would not show any videos of the vehicle crashing even if it was a test. I suspect it would create the wrong subconscious feeling.
Then why do they show them in car commercials? I always thought it showed "Look at how safe this vehicle is! See the airbags going off? Must be safe!"

But really, I just love watching things smash, and I'd love to see the Elio crunching in a "I won't die in that thing" kind of way.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Volvo, Mercedes, VW and other big car companies tout their crash testing on TV all the time.
Haven't you seen any of them?

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they pass with flying colors, why not? If they fail, then I see your point.

It depends entirely on the results.

Top Bottom