• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Caddo Parish Commission - May 20th 2014 Meeting Minutes

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lets cut to the chase here. If EM gets their major infusion of funding, and sees major demand signals, and then in parallel is building out the retail centers this year, while painstakingly dialing in the supply chain, and implementing the factory mods/building, and hiring enough of the right people, just about ALL simultaneously, ramping up steadily all year long ahead, they will get to launch.

Now, though as much as I still can't see this playing out well intrinsically, I DO still remain hopeful, BUT not just because I want an Elio, but because the system of things is absolutely corrupt as it gets, and its ruinous long term for our society in general, which you can blame both parties for, and the good ol boys network way of doing things, with the added in effect of having no term limits.

Even Tesla needs EM to be successful, to be autonomous corporations of their own, as the world needs to move nimbly towards all types of alternative transportation, that in particular are cleaner, greener, and more affordable. Investors with the funds, really need to see first that the auto industry and all its lawyers, lobbyists, and all the politcians in their pocket, can't find several different small but very effective ways of stalling a Tesla, or an EM. The auto industry has a stranglehold on the American public and the minimal choices we really have.

So the backdrop behind this entire concept today, ultimately remains the equivalent of trying to bang a square peg through a round hole. As a future Elio buyer myself, I remain hopeful that should it come to market it would be entirely from a new automaker, and not from it being acquired by one of the big 3 here or 3 there dictating what we get, or if we then even get it at all.
Please feel free to envision this playing out well......rather than end in failure. Elio is not only a new vehicle platform, but a new business model that may not fit your typical business calculations.

I recently read this quote, either here or wherever, "Whether you think you can or you can't......you're right". Team Elio thinks they can...........and I think they can too...........so I continue to support their effort in a positive way. Have you pre ordered your Elio?

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's my idea for Elio Stores: Since retail space may be extremely expensive in some regional markets. Partner with and contract LEASE Sales SPACE at COSTCO's. In store minimal square footage dedicated to Elio customer service/sales, and showroom display of Elio add on options. COSTCO Auto Service/Tire Centers could even handle the installation of aftermarket options while customers have a giant slice of pizza for $2. They could even handle warranty work in markets that have no PepBoys nearby. I envision Hello Demo Elio's parked outside, near the main store Entrance, forcing shoppers to walk by Elio and even impulse buy one at only $6800.

I suspect Elio's Marketing Team will jump all over this idea............heck and COSTCO too for that matter since they already offer a car purchasing assistance program.
I like this idea but our Costco only has tire service and gas. I understand there are other Costcos that provide other services but I have never lived near one. Our Costco is only 10-12 miles away from my home. Since I love Elio and I love Costco that would be a win win for me for sure. LOL :-) Z

whattheelf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Here's my idea for Elio Stores: Since retail space may be extremely expensive in some regional markets. Partner with and contract LEASE Sales SPACE at COSTCO's. In store minimal square footage dedicated to Elio customer service/sales, and showroom display of Elio add on options. COSTCO Auto Service/Tire Centers could even handle the installation of aftermarket options while customers have a giant slice of pizza for $2. They could even handle warranty work in markets that have no PepBoys nearby. I envision Hello Demo Elio's parked outside, near the main store Entrance, forcing shoppers to walk by Elio and even impulse buy one at only $6800.

I suspect Elio's Marketing Team will jump all over this idea............heck and COSTCO too for that matter since they already offer a car purchasing assistance program.

Well, so whether it be as I suggested, an idea being a strategic partnership between a Pep Boys, Costco, NTB, Sears, Autozone, or all the above, yes its about a rapid ramp up targeting regions with the greatest sales penetration potential, the areas of highest foot traffic/demographic, and within places that can sell and service the Elio.

The problem again is, of course who is not only going to pay for such a buildout, but also who is experienced enough and has done it before, to be fast enough, to manage such an aggressive rollout which delivers major sales traction? There would first need to be a business case incentive for a large retail chain to give up floor space, their staff, plus pay all the related square footage costs, on a vehicle of course that will lose a lot of money for perhaps a few years, on each car? Even if it sees profitability, even if a major retailer subsidizes the effort, how are they going to parse up the measly profit margin in these vehicles which is just around $1500 per car as I believe. Therein is the problem, not enough funding to incent a retailer, and not enough margin to incent a retailer to invest/subsidize this enterprise, all of which significantly disrupts a major retailer's core focus, and risking their core focus, just nowhere enough foreseen ROI for the risk.

This is why Pep Boys has said, sure we'll service it, and then they'll worry about it if/when the time comes, that's about as far as they'll invest. In other words show me the money first EM.

You can't revolutionize the auto business, with enough of a rapid adoption rate, to hit parity or profitability without massive funding to float this operation for perhaps the years it will take to convince the mass market they NEED this car. Its mainly a want, a niche, an "and" vehicle, which is hard to envision being sold at the same rate Honda Civics do. To hit such numbers, massive funding has to blitz into the auto market. Its just not going to happen by driving into shopping malls on the cheap.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Please feel free to envision this playing out well......rather than end in failure. Elio is not only a new vehicle platform, but a new business model that may not fit your typical business calculations.

I recently read this quote, either here or wherever, "Whether you think you can or you can't......you're right". Team Elio thinks they can...........and I think they can too...........so I continue to support their effort in a positive way. Have you pre ordered your Elio?

I think they will, too. Interesting that the suppliers have said (in the year old video), they like the relationship they have with EM, different from the "usual" setup. Makes me wonder if they are somehow "vested"...If, maybe stand to benefit from the "cafe credits?".....

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like this idea but our Costco only has tire service and gas. I understand there are other Costcos that provide other services but I have never lived near one. Our Costco is only 10-12 miles away from my home. Since I love Elio and I love Costco that would be a win win for me for sure. LOL :) Z
Tires and gas is about all our Elio's should need! LOL

Everybody loves COSTCO! Everybody will love the Elio when they drive it. I think COSTCO might even consider building small Elio Store Front Facades next to their tire centers and expand their service to installing Elio options with no specialized equipment required. It is an idea that has a potential win win win......for Elio, for COSTCO, and their customers. We will definitely need a trailer hitch & small trailer option to transport all of our COSTCO supplies home in our Elio's.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, so whether it be as I suggested, an idea being a strategic partnership between a Pep Boys, Costco, NTB, Sears, Autozone, or all the above, yes its about a rapid ramp up targeting regions with the greatest sales penetration potential, the areas of highest foot traffic/demographic, and within places that can sell and service the Elio.

The problem again is, of course who is not only going to pay for such a buildout, but also who is experienced enough and has done it before, to be fast enough, to manage such an aggressive rollout which delivers major sales traction? There would first need to be a business case incentive for a large retail chain to give up floor space, their staff, plus pay all the related square footage costs, on a vehicle of course that will lose a lot of money for perhaps a few years, on each car? Even if it sees profitability, even if a major retailer subsidizes the effort, how are they going to parse up the measly profit margin in these vehicles which is just around $1500 per car as I believe. Therein is the problem, not enough funding to incent a retailer, and not enough margin to incent a retailer to invest/subsidize this enterprise, all of which significantly disrupts a major retailer's core focus, and risking their core focus, just nowhere enough foreseen ROI for the risk.

This is why Pep Boys has said, sure we'll service it, and then they'll worry about it if/when the time comes, that's about as far as they'll invest. In other words show me the money first EM.

You can't revolutionize the auto business, with enough of a rapid adoption rate, to hit parity or profitability without massive funding to float this operation for perhaps the years it will take to convince the mass market they NEED this car. Its mainly a want, a niche, an "and" vehicle, which is hard to envision being sold at the same rate Honda Civics do. To hit such numbers, massive funding has to blitz into the auto market. Its just not going to happen by driving into shopping malls on the cheap.
Elio and a strategic partner could make it happen rather quickly with minimal cost. Initially minimal to no buildout required. Elio's small computer based sales areas wouldn't require anymore square footage than a COSTCO pharmacy or bakery and possibly generate more profit per sf. Sales areas I envision are shopping warehouse basic in decor to provide lower overhead and operating expense to insure the greatest amount of profit on that $6800 Elio. Elio customers don't need and or want a high end Tesla showroom sales environment in a luxury market location.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What about this:

You drive to COSTCO, and you see an Elio out front, by the tire center, with a bunch of people standing around gawking at it. Eventually, conversation turns to: can I buy one here?

Yup. You can also get one at Pep Boys or online at Amazon. You can test drive it at Pep Boys. Pep Boys services them and sells aftermarket and factory-designed upgrades.

If ordered through Amazon, delivery to your front door takes 2 days and costs $350. Satisfaction garunteed or your money back with no questions if you're an Amazon Prime member. If ordered through Pep Boys, delivery to your nearest Pep Boys takes 2-10 days depending on options, and cost $250.

Destination and prep fees vary, and are on top of the delivery charge which is just crating, hauling, and drop off with a lift-gate truck.

IF you order the "some assembly required" version, the prep and destination fees are dropped ($650-$900), and you get your Elio delivered to either your home (Amazon) or local Pep Boys in a crate. You have to haul it back and assemble it. Kit comes with full video and audio instructions with clear build manual. Kit includes critical tools like a torque wrench. An average pair of 2 friends can assemble it in one full Saturday. The build instructions guide you through a series of shakedown tests for rattles that can not hurt the car. The guide is video step-by-step, and there's even an online forum you can go post pictures and videos to if you get stuck and need advise. A Pep Boys "Pro-Level" installer will walk you through it or give you a call to help you. Charges may be applied for certain help level beyond simple questions.

ANNNNNNND, if you order the "Some assembly required" kit version, you can also opt for a "No engine" version which saves an additional $1,200--you supply the engine, tranny. You can order it with axle half-shafts or without.

COSTCO only sells one version, the basic, most popular build list in the most popular color for a flat rate price. Just remember to show your receipt at the door!

Last edited:

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score

While the nearest Costco is currently no closer than the nearest PepBoys, or the nearest planned retail center, there is one that is going to go up about 20 miles from me. The question is, would you have to buy a Costco membership to buy your Elio?

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What about this:

You drive to COSTCO, and you see an Elio out front, by the tire center, with a bunch of people standing around gawking at it. Eventually, conversation turns to: can I buy one here?

Yup. You can also get one at Pep Boys or online at Amazon. You can test drive it at Pep Boys. Pep Boys services them and sells aftermarket and factory-designed upgrades.

If ordered through Amazon, delivery to your front door takes 2 days and costs $350. Satisfaction garunteed or your money back with no questions if you're an Amazon Prime member. If ordered through Pep Boys, delivery to your nearest Pep Boys takes 2-10 days depending on options, and cost $250.

Destination and prep fees vary, and are on top of the delivery charge which is just crating, hauling, and drop off with a lift-gate truck.

IF you order the "some assembly required" version, the prep and destination fees are dropped ($650-$900), and you get your Elio delivered to either your home (Amazon) or local Pep Boys in a crate. You have to haul it back and assemble it. Kit comes with full video and audio instructions with clear build manual. Kit includes critical tools like a torque wrench. An average pair of 2 friends can assemble it in one full Saturday. The build instructions guide you through a series of shakedown tests for rattles that can not hurt the car. The guide is video step-by-step, and there's even an online forum you can go post pictures and videos to if you get stuck and need advise. A Pep Boys "Pro-Level" installer will walk you through it or give you a call to help you. Charges may be applied for certain help level beyond simple questions.

ANNNNNNND, if you order the "Some assembly required" kit version, you can also opt for a "No engine" version which saves an additional $1,200--you supply the engine, tranny. You can order it with axle half-shafts or without.

COSTCO only sells one version, the basic, most popular build list in the most popular color for a flat rate price. Just remember to show your receipt at the door!

That sounds pretty good. There are however, a few things to consider. As a younger man, I sold a bunch of R/C kits. They were "high dollar" and came with complete instructions. But I was constantly AMAZED by how many folks ( teens and adults) would bring in their car because it didn't work right ( they screwed it up) and demand warranty replacement parts. Another issue, is with insurance companies. I had a friend that bought a $35K "custom" chopper, only to find out his insurance company would NOT cover him. So with the Elio, why would my Insurance company expect ME to have the knowledge, to build it right? Unless maybe, I was "schooled and certified" in every step?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While the nearest Costco is currently no closer than the nearest PepBoys, or the nearest planned retail center, there is one that is going to go up about 20 miles from me. The question is, would you have to buy a Costco membership to buy your Elio?
Yes, but you can load up the new Elio with enough groceries and or electronics gear to actually save you money if you only shop there that one time.

Top Bottom