• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Bulge

doug stanley

Elio Fan
Reaction score
does anyone know what the bulge on the lower right side of the p-5 is for ? seems a strange place to route the exhaust if that is what it is. i am in the dark on this one.

doug stanley

Elio Fan
Reaction score
The muffler and exhaust pipe is inside that bulge
i guess theres no room on the underside of the body to run it. most unusual. that looks like an expensive option. the exhaust pipe will have to be heavly heat sheilded. my guess this is a quick fix for the "reveal". the production model will surly have it running underneath.

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
i guess theres no room on the underside of the body to run it. most unusual. that looks like an expensive option. the exhaust pipe will have to be heavly heat sheilded. my guess this is a quick fix for the "reveal". the production model will surly have it running underneath.
That's how the cad drawings had it:

http://www.eliomotors.com/gallery/#photos

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Why a quick fix? There's limited room underneath. There is little space between the passenger compartment and the frame, even in the P3 and P4. This one is no different.
While it "disturbs" the lines of the Elio, it isn't by any means a deal breaker! IMO. When I learned the exhaust would run outside the right body line, I even started considering a side pipe! The real question will be, is this cover removable, and is what is inside also painted like the rest of the autocycle?
I still like it, the body lines aren't hurt by this "bulge".

John-b-gone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why a quick fix? There's limited room underneath. There is little space between the passenger compartment and the frame, even in the P3 and P4. This one is no different.
While it "disturbs" the lines of the Elio, it isn't by any means a deal breaker! IMO. When I learned the exhaust would run outside the right body line, I even started considering a side pipe! The real question will be, is this cover removable, and is what is inside also painted like the rest of the autocycle?
I still like it, the body lines aren't hurt by this "bulge".
If you zoom in on this photo you'll see that "cover" is molded part of the main body. Sorry no removal unless you want to cut it out. However I do like how "The Bulge" channels any gas spill away from the hot exhaust. https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...CFBA1!5417&parId=66C8BD49AECFBA1!5393&o=OneUp

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No, it won't. The current location was chosen as the best compromise after lowering the passenger seat to increase headroom. That choice meant redesigning the gas tank. That choice required re-routing the exhaust. It was already too low; they lost the muffler to a manhole cover in Manhattan on the P4. So routing it outside the vehicle, instead of under it, was the design decision. But it also entails having to insulate the between the exhaust pipe / muffler and the passenger compartment; there's a lot of heat to dissipate.

The only option that might have permitted the exhaust to stay under the car would be to raise the whole undercarriage and put on much larger tires -- not compatible with 84 mpg.

So live with the bulge, fellah. It's that way for a reason.

Top Bottom