• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

August 14th Elio Article...

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
THE ELIO FIASCO... For an article with such a scary title, I thought it was not that bad. Basically, many of the thoughts and assumptions I have heard from others before.
ElioMotors is misunderstood. The idea is not to make 1 at a time, with improved designs as for sale units are made.
ElioMotors idea is to make them like a big automaker, pretested and all steps taken to insure a quality assembly line manufacture.
I agree they could have followed a different path, and it would have been easier and safer. Like EM and others are doing now.
That was not Paul's vision. Paul is not a snake oil salesman. He is trying his hardest to do the impossible, make an American Dream.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio is not a fiasco. EM has learned from history not to rush into production.
From Wikipedia; Chrysler airflow.

The car was introduced months (in January, 1934)[5] before it was put in production, and production peaked at only 6,212 units in May 1934 — very late in the year and barely enough to give every dealer a single Chrysler Airflow. The factory had not accounted for significant manufacturing challenges and expense due to the unusual new Airflow design, which required an unprecedented number and variety of welding techniques. The early Airflow arriving at dealerships suffered from significant problems, mostly the result of faulty manufacturing. According to Fred Breer, son of Chrysler Engineer Carl Breer, the first 2,000 to 3,000 Airflow to leave the factory had major defects, including engines breaking loose from their mountings at 80 mph (130 km/h).

If EM doesnt make it to production it won't be for lack of trying, and doing it the right way, all the way.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really don't pay attention much from news coming elsewhere than EM. Their weekly blog is the only definitive indication that they're still around. Someday, that blog will be about the funding they are seeking.

Top Bottom