• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anyone Know How Big Of Tire We Can Stuff Under The Back?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I totally understand what you are saying guys and very much appreciate your thoughts on the matter. No question wider tires is counter productive to the MPG cause and any rational person would agree with you and not want to do such a thing. I also know if I was a rational person life would be very dull!

I had several Miata experts tell me it was impossible to fit 17x10 wheels in a car designed for 15 x 6 and even if I did it would look like a monster truck. Since I knew nothing about it I very much appreciated their knowledge and experience of the cars and considered it carefully. Then did it anyway...:)
dewv9i.jpg

334rsi0.jpg

It very well may not be possible to put bigger wheels and tires on an Elio. But I doubt it.... ;)

Looks like Charchri4 will be in the market for a custom rear swing-arm! :D Might as well pull the Elio 3-cylinder and drop a WRX/STi Sube engine and 6-speed tranny (blocked off for Fwd only)...not that I've given it that much thought.:rolleyes:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Most people likely would not want to outfit the Elio with wider tires for MPG reasons however for those interested in looks or handling this should be fairly easy to accomplish on this vehicle. Except for the easy to replace stock enclosed fenders the Elio front end should be able to accommodate fairly wide tires since bodywork clearance will not be an issue. The rear tire size will likely really only be limited by the design of the swing-arm as there should actually be plenty of room under even the stock rear fenders to place a much larger tire. I am sure people will engineer aftermarket swing-arms to accommodate some fat tires back there. :cool:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most people likely would not want to outfit the Elio with wider tires for MPG reasons however for those interested in looks or handling this should be fairly easy to accomplish on this vehicle. Except for the easy to replace stock enclosed fenders the Elio front end should be able to accommodate fairly wide tires since bodywork clearance will not be an issue. The rear tire size will likely really only be limited by the design of the swing-arm as there should actually be plenty of room under even the stock rear fenders to place a much larger tire. I am sure people will engineer aftermarket swing-arms to accommodate some fat tires back there. :cool:
I'm thinking about going with really stiff moped tires. :rolleyes:

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
well you can always call Pep Boys. I know when I called to ask them about oil changes, I was told "Elio? What is that?" He put me on hold to check with his boss and he had no idea what an Elio is or I guess more proper to say what it might be.
Ah yes, the service people are always the last to know!

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

The fact that nobody at Pep Boys had even heard of an Elio, tells me that Paul, and the gang, have a lot more promoting to do.o_O Maybe a Popular Mechanics/Popular Science feature article could get more people talking about them. I'm a long-time subscriber to both, but an issue with an Elio on the cover would get framed, and hung on the wall. :)

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
well you can always call Pep Boys. I know when I called to ask them about oil changes, I was told "Elio? What is that?" He put me on hold to check with his boss and he had no idea what an Elio is or I guess more proper to say what it might be.

The fact that nobody at Pep Boys had even heard of an Elio, tells me that Paul, and the gang, have a lot more promoting to do.o_O Maybe a Popular Mechanics/Popular Science feature article could get more people talking about them. I'm a long-time subscriber to both, but an issue with an Elio on the cover would get framed, and hung on the wall. :)

TROY, Mich., April 29, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Pep Boys – Manny, Moe & Jack , the nation's leading automotive aftermarket service and retail chain, has been named as the official service provider for Elio Motors, Inc., the start-up transportation company revolutionizing the way Americans commute.

Look like only the Pep Boys HQ know what is going on with Elio, and local service may or may not know about Elio. Click below..

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/el...eled-vehicle-set-to-launch-in-2015-2014-04-29

Top Bottom