• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Any News Regarding Mpg (auto Vs Manual... Etc)

EricG1Insight

Reaction score
has anything else been mentioned about MPG? This would be the sole purpose to get one for me, otherwise I'd just stick with my Honda Insight.

I know they mentioned 84MPG. Is that for the manual? What's the difference between hwy/city?

I'll keep searching for answers in the forum, but have not found it yet.

Scott Berridge

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
It has been mentioned several times from various sources that rated mileage is 84 highway/49 city. I have also read that there will be no noticeable difference in mileage between the manual and automatic, but that has been quite some time ago and that's why I am anxious to hear some real world results from the E series testing. I am assuming that there will be some automatic transmissions on some of the E series test models, but have not heard a peep from Elio about that.

Scott Berridge

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
They have gotten some first round tests in (I think they used the P5).
#1 it's 400lbs overweight, so that's going to affect results; but I heard on first round they got 81mpg.
Not bad for a prototype that's "fat"
If I remember correctly, the P5 has the new IAV designed engine, but nothing has been said about the tranny other than it is a manual. Don't know if it is some cobbled-up thing or some version of a possible production model from Aisan

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the P5 has the new IAV designed engine, but nothing has been said about the tranny other than it is a manual. Don't know if it is some cobbled-up thing or some version of a possible production model from Aisan

When they were doing pictures of the P5 assembly the transmission that was mounted in the frame was labeled BC5 which is the consistent with all reports. The manual is an Aisin BC5 and the automatic is a Aisin MC5.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
has anything else been mentioned about MPG? This would be the sole purpose to get one for me, otherwise I'd just stick with my Honda Insight.

I know they mentioned 84MPG. Is that for the manual? What's the difference between hwy/city?

I'll keep searching for answers in the forum, but have not found it yet.
They don't have any definitive answers at this time. Just targets.

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have heard that the automatic will get the best gas milage, but a human can get close...

Yeah, PE said the auto will get the best possible mileage because it shifts perfectly every time. Hopefully the auto tranny is a good one. I've had some not so good ones in the past.

As for being overweight, I wonder what that's about and how they plan on fixing it?

Top Bottom