• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Am I The Only Person Who Likes The Elgin Dash?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think my major concern is a "red line" on the "tach" since the standard transmission is a manual.
I was reading about one "tach" that had a red light to help for shift point.
I think maybe a yellow to warn when you approach 500 below red line also.
Could be done with a bi-state or tri-state led.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I've found after owning sticks for a very long time that you can learn where that "sweet spot" is by listening.
Once you've taught yourself to listen to your car, you'll know when to shift just by the sound and feel.
That worked for me, except when I had a rotary engine; those things continue to make power until something breaks (usually the transmission).

Going back to the dash questions; another way I've done instrument clusters is to take all of the measurements and then go to the wrecking yard to get ideas. Once you find one that's close, the next trick is figuring out how to make it fit and work.
That same process works on a number of areas; I did Caddy Eldorado inside door panels on an early 2 door Jeep Grand Wagoneer (1982). I reused the mirrors controls, power window switches, plus the Eldo had interior lights on the bottom of the armrest so it would light the area you were about to step out into. Great for puddles you want to avoid.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with COSS. I imagine there will be a "SPEED LIMITER" in the ECU to protect the motor.
As far as the feel of the "Sweet Spot", on my LRR I actually use the sound of the exhaust, without looking at the tach, especially the "Lean Burn" mode.
The more you drive and pay attention to what the engine is telling you, the better off you and the Elio will be.
I believe in "gauges" and then Idiot lights to get your attention.

HTH
Willie

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with COSS. I imagine there will be a "SPEED LIMITER" in the ECU to protect the motor.
As far as the feel of the "Sweet Spot", on my LRR I actually use the sound of the exhaust, without looking at the tach, especially the "Lean Burn" mode.
The more you drive and pay attention to what the engine is telling you, the better off you and the Elio will be.
I believe in "gauges" and then Idiot lights to get your attention.

HTH
Willie
LRR ? What's that?
The ultimate idiot light is .......................... Check Engine
It can mean 100 different things and the only way to figure out what it is you have to have an OBDII code reader, then go and decipher the code.
Just to find out ........... the gas cap is loose, :frusty:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That happened on my vehicle, the first thing the service manager said was did you check the gas cap? We did, and it wasn't tightened down. I drove away with no shop charge.

It won't happen on the capless Elio.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've found after owning sticks for a very long time that you can learn where that "sweet spot" is by listening.
Once you've taught yourself to listen to your car, you'll know when to shift just by the sound and feel.
That worked for me, except when I had a rotary engine; those things continue to make power until something breaks (usually the transmission).

Going back to the dash questions; another way I've done instrument clusters is to take all of the measurements and then go to the wrecking yard to get ideas. Once you find one that's close, the next trick is figuring out how to make it fit and work.
That same process works on a number of areas; I did Caddy Eldorado inside door panels on an early 2 door Jeep Grand Wagoneer (1982). I reused the mirrors controls, power window switches, plus the Eldo had interior lights on the bottom of the armrest so it would light the area you were about to step out into. Great for puddles you want to avoid.
you'll know you hit the sweet spot, when you can shift without using the clutch!!

Gizmo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
you'll know you hit the sweet spot, when you can shift without using the clutch!!

Had an old farmer teach me clutchless shifting on his farm vehicles. He said it was less wear and tear on the plates. I've used that method on every 'old' standard (since todays standard is auto) since then. Even had to show my cousin-in-law how to do it in his 18 wheeler. 1st time he saw me do it he swore I was gonna ruin his tranny! Then he talked to some of his fellow drivers and got with the program.

As to the Elgin dash....I'll give'em a spin. At 1st sight I don't really like them and would prefer the analog version. Never did like the digital versions. Probably a strong sign that I can be classified as 'Old Fart".

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Coss:
LRR is what all the INSIGHTERS call my vehicle. It means "Little Red Rocket", because of the turbo.
OBD code readers are really inexpensive now. I carry one in each of my vehicles. It saves the expensive dealer costs, if you go to a dealer some will charge a high fee to read the code. Of course most auto parts will read a "Check Engine" light free. The code gives you are a start of "Where to look". Some codes have several sub codes, and several causes.

Gizmo:
There are a lot of "Ol Farts" here on the ELIO site. Me included.
HTH
Willie

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
OBD code readers are really inexpensive now. I carry one in each of my vehicles. It saves the expensive dealer costs, if you go to a dealer some will charge a high fee to read the code. Of course most auto parts will read a "Check Engine" light free. The code gives you are a start of "Where to look". Some codes have several sub codes, and several causes.
There are a lot of small repair shops that will read it for free also; they do that so they can compare what they would charge to fix it vs. the dealer.
How many 20 and 30 (in some cases 40) somethings do you know that are willing to work on their own car any more?
If there's a problem, take it in; even if it's a tire reporting low pressure.
My daughter does it differently; take it to dad's. :becky:

Top Bottom