• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Adjusted For Inflation

Samuel Gompers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1) Elio is never going to make it to production.
2) If a new investor were to buy the Elio name, or take over the assets, they would not buy the liabilities. Whether through bankruptcy of Elio or other legal means, they would not take on any obligations to honor the reservation pricing. They might offer something like EMV and offer Elio reservationists a discount or priority or whatever, but there will never be a $7k Elio trike produced. Never. Well, maybe a pedal tricycle.
3) Arcimoto and ElectraMeccanica are not success stories. It is unlikely that either with ever reach significant production. Both are far more successful than Elio, but that is saying essentially nothing. At best, perhaps one or both of them will survive as a cottage industry in a niche market.
4) Trikes, either gasoline or electric, just are not mainstream products, especially in the U.S.A.. There will always be a few oddballs like us who are interested in trikes, but we are an extremely small minority interest group.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1) Elio is never going to make it to production.
2) If a new investor were to buy the Elio name, or take over the assets, they would not buy the liabilities. Whether through bankruptcy of Elio or other legal means, they would not take on any obligations to honor the reservation pricing. They might offer something like EMV and offer Elio reservationists a discount or priority or whatever, but there will never be a $7k Elio trike produced. Never. Well, maybe a pedal tricycle.
3) Arcimoto and ElectraMeccanica are not success stories. It is unlikely that either with ever reach significant production. Both are far more successful than Elio, but that is saying essentially nothing. At best, perhaps one or both of them will survive as a cottage industry in a niche market.
4) Trikes, either gasoline or electric, just are not mainstream products, especially in the U.S.A.. There will always be a few oddballs like us who are interested in trikes, but we are an extremely small minority interest group.
That's the long version of what I just said! Lol. And like I said ARCIMOTO and EMV played the niche field very carefully and started small- BECAUSE THEY UNDERSTOOD THE MARKET and that they knew early on that their 3wheelers are not meant to compete with 4wheelers unlike of course of Paul Elio who wants to start big but fall short of reservation numbers! For investors to even entertain his business model at his 7k price, they need to see at least upwards of 500k reservations to make money. Many will say that Tesla e-cars will never get maintream some even wishing them to fail but who can get 500k plus reservations just on a reveal( Tesla 3, cybertruck, etc.).

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's the long version of what I just said! Lol. And like I said ARCIMOTO and EMV played the niche field very carefully and started small- BECAUSE THEY UNDERSTOOD THE MARKET and that they knew early on that their 3wheelers are not meant to compete with 4wheelers
You hit the nail on the head. Elio was trying to take a three wheeler and make it mainstream. Tesla tried to take an EV and make it mainstream. Difference was, It took Tesla a while of multiple products to become mainstream. People can change but in the end, you have to get the product out there. If not, the longer you wait, those old specs become obsolete and unrealistic. You can't price something out a decade ago and think it'll hold today.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey Samuel, You obviously haven’t test driven the Arcimoto. Arcimoto is already a success story having started retail production and deliveries. We will have to see how the story ends before we make predictions on long term success or failure based on consumer acceptance.

Cottage industry in a niche market? A few oddballs interested? A small minority interest group? Tell that to this wide demographic cross section of oddballs that have all come down with A.S.S. (Arcimoto Smiling Syndrome). I couldn’t post all 70 new owner photos. They all have A.S.S.. Tesla Motors followed the same timeline track in delivering their first 100 Roadsters back in 2008. Who the hell thought they were going to be a successful auto startup a few short years later? Times are a changing and perhaps commuter trikes are about to become mainstream.
F8429AED-CCFF-4032-998D-F2717043DEFC.jpeg

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head. Elio was trying to take a three wheeler and make it mainstream. Tesla tried to take an EV and make it mainstream. Difference was, It took Tesla a while of multiple products to become mainstream. People can change but in the end, you have to get the product out there. If not, the longer you wait, those old specs become obsolete and unrealistic. You can't price something out a decade ago and think it'll hold today.
Tesla EVs simply became more affordable due to improved battery tech, increased range, and lower cost due to scaled production numbers. Thanks to those able and willing to pay premium prices for the early Tesla models. Tesla’s goal was to bring a more affordable Tesla to the masses and it appears they were successful. Team Tesla was loaded with designers, engineers, tech support, and prototype builders. Team Elio was loaded with marketers that engaged in a highly successful marketing campaign.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's the long version of what I just said! Lol. And like I said ARCIMOTO and EMV played the niche field very carefully and started small- BECAUSE THEY UNDERSTOOD THE MARKET and that they knew early on that their 3wheelers are not meant to compete with 4wheelers unlike of course of Paul Elio who wants to start big but fall short of reservation numbers! For investors to even entertain his business model at his 7k price, they need to see at least upwards of 500k reservations to make money. Many will say that Tesla e-cars will never get maintream some even wishing them to fail but who can get 500k plus reservations just on a reveal( Tesla 3, cybertruck, etc.).
Yup! They are meant to supplement our primary 4 wheeler vehicles. SOLO, FUV, & Elio.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You obviously haven’t test driven the Arcimoto.
I want to test drive one tomorrow. Can you show me where there's a FUV dealer in the NYC or Philly area? We got lots of people here. I got two Vanderhall dealers and two Slingshot dealers no more than an hour away. We have boatloads of people here in the NE and are begging to drive one. Winter has been warm, so it's a perfect time. I have checked the FUV site but I am not in the loop as to the test drives so i can get my A.S.S. Just so you know, I do not want to take a 12 hour round trip flight to Oregon just to take a test drive. That is expensive and take lots of time. If i decide to do this, when can I get mine? Does FUV need to fulfill the 5K orders first? If they do or don't, when can I get white glove delivery to the NYC or Philly area? Can I just buy the $11,900 one as spending $2K for a test drive is a bit much if I have to fly there and then get lodging.

Samuel Gompers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LOL, Rick. It's too early for long-term predictions of failure, but not too early for predictions of overwhelming success? 70 deliveries in 13 years sounds very niche/oddball/small minority interest to me. I admire your ability to spin that into a dramatic success.

You're right. I haven't driven one. They don't exist in my world. (Arizona). Apparently they don't exist in your world yet, either. (Idaho).

I like motorcycles too much to get a trike with a handlebar. No counter-steering. With the fuv, it's also expensive, slow (accel & mph), and miserable range. I just went on a fun/easy ride on Saturday with a couple of friends. About 125 miles. Didn't even come close to hitting reserve on the bike, but I would have been pushing the fuv for the last 75+ miles, considering its range at highway speeds. No, the Arcimoto holds absolutely zero appeal for me. The Elio concept was at least interesting. Especially the promised specs when I found out about it. 70hp & 8-900lbs. 5-speed, performance suspension, and grippy tires. The later, 1750lb, 50hp, skinny-tired thing didn't do it for me.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LOL, Samuel. Spin? I’ve taken the FUV for a spin and like the performance and handling characteristics. :) My idea of dramatic success for any new vehicle startup is getting their concept over the production start line. A decade of Privately funded R&D and 70 deliveries since the start of retail production on 9.19.19. My world goes beyond the borders of Idaho. I’ve toured the AMP, met some of the dedicated Arcimoto Team members, and hope for their long term wild, crazy, and dramatic success. My everyday trips on the fun/scenic mountain and lakeshore rides and coffee runs will be well within the FUV’s 100 mile range. I assumed you had zero interest in Arcimoto, but appreciate your interest in my interest. Three wheelers are supplements to 2 wheel motorcycles and autos, not replacements. Ride What You Like, Like What You Ride. The list of interested oddballs keeps growing:

Last edited:
Top Bottom