• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Couple Of Iowa Specific Questions

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One detail that I haven't seen in other autocycle laws: the tadpole configuration is a requirement (2 front wheels, 1 rear). So I guess an autocycle with one front-two rear wouldn't count as an "autocycle" by Iowa law, but instead would still be a motorcycle.
That is correct.

Can't WAIT to see the looks on the truck drivers' faces when I go cruzin' down I-80 in my Elio!

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After that last post, I started actually thinking what the truckers driving the 18-wheelers would REALLY think about having to share the road with an Elio. Maybe I'd better plan on getting one of those flags the guys on scooters have to have attached so drivers can see them.

If a VW Bug is a "pregnant rollerskate", what do you think they'll call the Elio?

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The "different vehicle" part makes sense. Basically, you need to get your regular driver's license in a regular car, so that the examiner can sit in the side seat and doesn't need to worry about riding with an unproven driver in an unconventional vehicle. And I can totally see wearing a helmet in a Polaris Slingshot, but not in an Elio.

One detail that I haven't seen in other autocycle laws: the tadpole configuration is a requirement (2 front wheels, 1 rear). So I guess an autocycle with one front-two rear wouldn't count as an "autocycle" by Iowa law, but instead would still be a motorcycle.
I second the recommendation FOR a helmet for open air vehicles like the Polaris and Slingshot which have no air bags and recommend AGAINST using a helmet for enclosed vehicles with air bags like the Elio. Helmets and airbags don't mix well.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After that last post, I started actually thinking what the truckers driving the 18-wheelers would REALLY think about having to share the road with an Elio. Maybe I'd better plan on getting one of those flags the guys on scooters have to have attached so drivers can see them.

If a VW Bug is a "pregnant rollerskate", what do you think they'll call the Elio?

In the road and track video the driver is next to a semi-trailer and reiterates again how low he sits in the elio. I've driven a pickup for many years and I suspect it will be an interesting change to see the underside of a trailer when driving the elio. I only hope that I'm not tempted to use the space between the wheels of the trailer as an alternate passing lane :)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Helmets and airbags don't mix well. Why not? I'm against helmets in cars. I'd hate to be restrained by my seatbelt only to have an overly heavy head snap my neck... But, thinking about it, a helmet head hitting an airbag wouldn't be THAT bad. As a bonus, you'd be better protected against the Takata death strike! :D

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Helmets and airbags don't mix well. Why not? I'm against helmets in cars. I'd hate to be restrained by my seatbelt only to have an overly heavy head snap my neck... But, thinking about it, a helmet head hitting an airbag wouldn't be THAT bad. As a bonus, you'd be better protected against the Takata death strike! :D
The problem is not the helmet hitting the airbag, it's the air bag deploying while wearing a helmet too close to the airbag. It could convert the rapid deployment forces to the neck.

Of course, that's not too good for the uncovered head either, but the added danger is in those situations where the additional space wearing a helmet causes an interaction where the uncovered head would not.

You might not think it's that big of a deal, but articles I've read indicate the risk of wearing a helmet is greater than the additional protection.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem is not the helmet hitting the airbag, it's the air bag deploying while wearing a helmet too close to the airbag. It could convert the rapid deployment forces to the neck.

Of course, that's not too good for the uncovered head either, but the added danger is in those situations where the additional space wearing a helmet causes an interaction where the uncovered head would not.

You might not think it's that big of a deal, but articles I've read indicate the risk of wearing a helmet is greater than the additional protection.
Don't get me wrong. I wasn't advocating the use of a helmet WITH airbags. I was just thinking the airbag would slow a helmeted head at about the same rate as an unhelmeted head.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I wasn't advocating the use of a helmet WITH airbags. I was just thinking the airbag would slow a helmeted head at about the same rate as an unhelmeted head.

Dale Earnhardt.
Let any jackass politician who wants you to wear a helmet in an Elio volunteer as a crash test dummy.
Let anyone who agrees with helmets in cars also do crash test duty.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Dale Earnhardt.
Let any jackass politician who wants you to wear a helmet in an Elio volunteer as a crash test dummy.
Let anyone who agrees with helmets in cars also do crash test duty.
Just make them drive a car for a week with a helmet on; being crash test dummy could have bad results.

Top Bottom