• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

84 Mpg Is The Goal...

If you hadn't (or haven't) put down any money, what's your MPG minimum to buy an Elio?

• Paul said 84 MPG and I expect 84 MPG!

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • 60+ would be great!

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • 30+ would be okay.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd buy one, even if it was rated for GPM (gallons per mile).

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most of the year I ride my Bikes .I do not put them away until snow just makes it the only option. Cold does not slow me down at all. My car does not gets used as much. Last week I Purchased a new car. I did not want to get something to big or fancy and went with a Ford Fiesta. The 1.6 engine has given me 41-43 on the highway and 35-38 other wise. Now I know I will never average 43 with it but that is pretty darn good for a car with the room it has and power. I did not buy it for the fuel mileage it just fit what I wanted. When my Elio shows up this one will sit or I will pass it on to my daughter .
I had looked at the Smart car and it just did not add up.
ELIO get it going time to put this Car on the road

OctoberGlory

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...Last week I Purchased a new car. I did not want to get something to big or fancy and went with a Ford Fiesta. The 1.6 engine has given me 41-43 on the highway and 35-38 other wise...

The Fiesta has been a popular car for many years now. I know several people that own them and one that is approaching 200K miles. With a 1.6 liter engine it almost made this list of "Top Ten Smallest Engines Available in Cars today" that was published in the summer of 2012. I couldn't find a more recent list.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/07/top-10-smallest-engines-available-in-cars-today.html

I did come across this list for "10 Best New Cars Engines for 2014". The Ford Fiesta with the turbo charged, 3 cylinder, 1.0L EcoBoost DOHC made this list.
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehmk45lmdg/ford-fiesta-1-0l-ecoboost-dohc-i3/

It looks like a great little engine, but probably expensive with all the technology thrown in.
http://wardsauto.com/ward039s-10-best-engines/2014-winner-ford-10l-ecoboost-dohc-di-i-3

Last edited:

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What it boils down to is the fact that an affordable enclosed comfortable ride will be offered by a Company built in the USA! I am all for that concept, no matter what the final little bits of data turn out to be... Again, God Bless Paul and the whole Elio production idea!
Will be a riot to see 10-12 people crammed into one of these in India like they do on those 49cc scooters. And someone...somewhere will just HAVE to make a stretch limo version of the Elio. It's going to be an interesting next few years.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just nosed around the DOE ATVM loan guidance document and discovered that the Elio qualifies for ATVM loan application based on the fact that it is an ultra efficient vehicle, e.g. fully enclosed, 2 passengers, acheiving at least 75 mpg. So, if the Elio doesn't get at least 75 mpg then it no longer qualifies for the ATVM loan. Thus we can assume that it'll get at least 75 mpg.

Please go to the ATMV loan thread if you want these and other details too tedious to re-post here. Thumbs up all - r-e-l-a-x.

Edward43

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just do not see any way that the Elio won't be able to hit 60 mpg highway and 40 mpg city. Light weight, narrow profile, and a small motor should equate under the worst of circumstances to at least these numbers. I would still buy one returning these efficiency numbers since this is twice as efficient as what I currenty drive.
This not a time for compromising, as Paul Elio has said, "this not rocket science", it will be done, and it will happen in the USA.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If a car weighing over 2500 lbs (stats from Edmunds for the Ford Fiesta) can get that kind of mileage, I see no reason not to expect a vehicle weighing half as much having a lower slipstream wouldn't be able to easily meet the claimed 84 mpg highway spec.
Kind of my point The Fiesta has plenty of room, it will get up and go if you want. if it can do what this one is doing I see promise for ELIO.
Auto industry says 400 pound increase in weight cost you 1 mile to the gallon fuel.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will be a riot to see 10-12 people crammed into one of these in India like they do on those 49cc scooters. And someone...somewhere will just HAVE to make a stretch limo version of the Elio. It's going to be an interesting next few years.
And don't forget the low ryder version with hydraulics :D

Top Bottom