• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado Redesign

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, up in PA you have real weather, here we don't have that same cold, and the diesels work fine.
It's funny you bring that up. A customer of mine has a new Dodge 1500 with the small diesel in it. This past winter, it wouldn't start when it got to -10F. He discovered this when the family went to his parents house in VT for Christmas. It finally started at 10F but that was like a week later. He found out that all of the engines come with a block heater but only the Canadians ones have the actual cord. Getting one was a bit of a challenge but he did and installing it was pretty easy. It seemed strange that Dodge was going to save money on just not including a cord.

I'd say he's a typical truck owner. It's used to haul the family around, haul some bikes and tow a small trailer for yard waste. I don't see it really being used as a truck. It did replace his Excursion with that V10 which he thinks it was designed OPEC just so he would keep them in business. I think he told me it gave around 10 mpg in the city.

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had a 1992 ford f250 diesel. Could not plug it in at work. If the temperatures were at or below 20 it had to sit there. Got bad enough i took a generator with me so i could plug it in to get home. Most of late January and some of February was the problem.

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
oops!
BUSINESS
Two Million Ford Trucks Recalled Due To Reported Seat Belt Fires
September 6, 20185:04 PM ET

MERRIT KENNEDY

InstagramTwitter
ap_633768474874_custom-9435e43b548e4dde13b92f7a795d685d29d27de3-s1600-c85.jpg

Some two million Ford F-150 pickup trucks are being recalled by the company after more than 20 reports of smoke or fire coming from the seat belts.

The recall, which was announced Thursday, applies to certain Regular Cab and SuperCrew Cab vehicles from model years 2015-18.

The problem, according to the company, is with a part of the driver and front passenger seat belts called a pretensioner. The pretensioner is a component attached to the base of a seatbelt clip. During a crash, it automatically forces the clip down, which is meant to protect the occupant by pulling them into the seat. Sometimes, this piece involves explosives.

You can see a pretensioner deploy in this video from The Slow Mo Guys:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
oops!
BUSINESS
Two Million Ford Trucks Recalled Due To Reported Seat Belt Fires
September 6, 20185:04 PM ET

MERRIT KENNEDY

InstagramTwitter
ap_633768474874_custom-9435e43b548e4dde13b92f7a795d685d29d27de3-s1600-c85.jpg

Some two million Ford F-150 pickup trucks are being recalled by the company after more than 20 reports of smoke or fire coming from the seat belts.

The recall, which was announced Thursday, applies to certain Regular Cab and SuperCrew Cab vehicles from model years 2015-18.

The problem, according to the company, is with a part of the driver and front passenger seat belts called a pretensioner. The pretensioner is a component attached to the base of a seatbelt clip. During a crash, it automatically forces the clip down, which is meant to protect the occupant by pulling them into the seat. Sometimes, this piece involves explosives.

You can see a pretensioner deploy in this video from The Slow Mo Guys:

Why troll Ford followers in a thread about the new Silverado? That's kind of crass. It isn't like Chevy who went bankrupt after years of lackluster sales and vehicles hasn't had it's share of problems... A problem with any American manufacturer is an American problem and will end up costing every one of us money. Don't for a second think that just because Chevy didn't have a seatbelt problem this year (they recalled over 800,000 in the 2014-2015 year group) that it won't end up costing you more money. Manufacturers will double down and end up spending more for "safer" seatbelts just like what's going on with the air bags. It'll basically add more cost to each vehicle from now on while erasing profit from the manufacturer for vehicles already produced which, in turn, hurts stockholders, and the economy in general except maybe where the replacement seatbelts are manufactured. Basically, these recalls are bad all around.

Still though... why derail the Silverado thread?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The salesman argued with me. Said not needed. Had to order and wait for delivery. It was worth the wait.
Same with my truck. Different manufacturer. Why would you NOT want a locking differential? I'd rather it be limited slip but I've had to lock it (electrically) to get out of a jam but it only locks till about 20 mph.

Top Bottom