• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

10/15/2014 - Tech Talk - Engine Series: Part 1

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm. If we get bad news I'd be surprised if it was about the engine though. Unless they are inept at a level I have yet to see, they would already know what they were going to say in two weeks time and, if bad, they would not have given us this week's good engine news beforehand.

Business leaders often employ the strategy of covering failure by lauding success. I worry that Elio Motors might be kicking off three weeks of positive views on engine design and trial development to mask bad news regarding funding.

The timing on the engine news is directly related to the fact that in two weeks Elio Motors will be at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas which is a major industry event. EM is fully aware that this would be a great place to have news about, and possibly even publicly display, the new engine. EM would not commit themselves to this timeline unless they were as sure as they could be of this news.

Unless the CAFE credit changes get pushed through congress before the loan is approved I would not expect any more news, good or bad, about funding until after the DOE makes it's decision on the loan.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unless the CAFE credit changes get pushed through congress before the loan is approved I would not expect any more news, good or bad, about funding until after the DOE makes it's decision on the loan.
Which sadly, who knows when that could be? Could be two weeks... Could be two years...
I really hope the success of the project does not hinge on this.
But that's another thread...

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't expect any NEW/GOOD news from SEMA. They are still in get out the reservations mode.
If they had good news it should have been at Barrett Jackson, where the real car people are at.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't expect any NEW/GOOD news from SEMA. They are still in get out the reservations mode.
If they had good news it should have been at Barrett Jackson, where the real car people are at.
Well we know this is not true. Today, at the Rome, GA air show ElIo VP Jerome Vassallo told us directly that there will indeed be a major announcement at SEMA.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well we know this is not true. Today, at the Rome, GA air show ElIo VP Jerome Vassallo told us directly that there will indeed be a major announcement at SEMA.

G1, you are unusually well informed, though I supposed being from George and being at the Rome show would make one apt to pick up the latest if it was uttered there first. But whatever the reasons - keep up the good work of digging up hints and blurbs. Many of us hang on them if not as outright fact, at least as an indication of which way the wind is blowing.

And on that note, since you are a keen observer and have a seemingly comprehensive view of the data, have you devoted any attention to watching the body language of the Elio management team and staff over time? Their particular choice of words? General demeanor? These people are selected for their ability to generate a consistent public face, but it is a challenge and keen observers can often pick up from the way things are said what is actually being said, which is impossible of course in writing (unless you are Faulkner or Hemingway). So, when Jerome said that there would be a major announcement, how did he say it? Spring in his step? Dismissive? Casual and offhand?

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I am a bit confused by your statement. As someone who has actually been to a Sema show, I don't agree. IMO, Barret Jackson is for primarily for people who love cars. The Sema show (around 3 million square feet of vendor space) Is for people who KNOW and love cars. Sema will allow the "aftermarket accessory manufacturers the opportunity to get excited about the Elio and to begin planning their "symbiotic relationships" with EM. If, by some chance, EM has a P5/E1 at the show, their will also be opportunity for these companies to actually take measurements from it! And to begin planning & designing their own products. If you can't tell, I am extremely optimistic about the Sema show! :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool:

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmm. If we get bad news I'd be surprised if it was about the engine though. Unless they are inept at a level I have yet to see, they would already know what they were going to say in two weeks time and, if bad, they would not have given us this week's good engine news beforehand.

Business leaders often employ the strategy of covering failure by lauding success. I worry that Elio Motors might be kicking off three weeks of positive views on engine design and trial development to mask bad news regarding funding.

The amount of conspiracy seeking here is intense. I do believe in reading between the lines, but to go to the point that good new must mean bad news is being hidden? How many gunmen were on the grassy knoll 5, 10 more?

Sometimes a sunny day is just a sunny day.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's what happens when there is lots of interest and no information. Parsing happens next.

I maintain the view that all engine news in the next couple of weeks will be good news. I also maintain the view that lack of progress in funding will become an increasing worry if EM is to try to maintain their timelines. In this case, no news is not no news but bad news. Any significant tranche of funding would be a major announcement as no one benefits from secrecy once terms have been agreed. EM needs the momentum to keep it all together: suppliers, good employees they've tagged who may be with other organizations now, potential reservationists, and current investors. Good news on the engine and helmet laws are great but they do not solve what is the absolute rate limiting step: cold, hard cash. I do hope that their big announcement will be location of bridge funding to get them into late-stage prototyping or early production.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's what happens when there is lots of interest and no information. Parsing happens next.

I maintain the view that all engine news in the next couple of weeks will be good news. I also maintain the view that lack of progress in funding will become an increasing worry if EM is to try to maintain their timelines. In this case, no news is not no news but bad news. Any significant tranche of funding would be a major announcement as no one benefits from secrecy once terms have been agreed. EM needs the momentum to keep it all together: suppliers, good employees they've tagged who may be with other organizations now, potential reservationists, and current investors. Good news on the engine and helmet laws are great but they do not solve what is the absolute rate limiting step: cold, hard cash. I do hope that their big announcement will be location of bridge funding to get them into late-stage prototyping or early production.

When you apply for a mortgage, you send in all the documents and then you wait for a decision.

That is sort of where Elio is with the loan. They applied for the loan and now must wait for the Gov't to make a decision. Elio can not control the rate (usually slow) at which the Gov't. functions.

Top Bottom