• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will The Elio Have An Interference Engine?

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do use the reply button if my post isn't next on the page. Otherwise it's just a waste of bandwidth and I prefer to be economical, just like the Elio.:D

I agree about the timing chain which hopefully negates any chance of valve to piston arguments. I've owned both types of engine and never had trouble in that respect from either, possibly because I over-maintain my vehicles.

Anyway, I'll leave you to it because I'm in southern Turkey on my summer vacation. It's been almost 40 Centigrade here today and I need a cold beer very urgently!

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do use the reply button if my post isn't next on the page. Otherwise it's just a waste of bandwidth and I prefer to be economical, just like the Elio.:D

I agree about the timing chain which hopefully negates any chance of valve to piston arguments. I've owned both types of engine and never had trouble in that respect from either, possibly because I over-maintain my vehicles.

Anyway, I'll leave you to it because I'm in southern Turkey on my summer vacation. It's been almost 40 Centigrade here today and I need a cold beer very urgently!
Dude!!!!!!! What a fun vacation. Why don't you just rub it in. I found a tape many years ago of my wife and I back in the 70s enjoying yachting week in what is now Croatia. The other girl was Marys girl friend I don't remember the other guy. be sure you have sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCe9MjHQFUs

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks as if we've come full circle. You see now you're starting to sound like my wife. When we first started dating I use to tell her to turn the radio down, we're trying to save gas. LOL. Very much like you saving band pass. LOL

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey Goofyone, could you ask your friend @ IAV if the Elio design is interference
or not?
View attachment 2218

Boy I'm getting a hell of an education here. I kinda had an idea what an "interference engine" was, but I looked it up on Wikipedia just to be sure. For those of us who are not as technically inclined as others are on this site here's the definition:

An interference engine is a type of 4-stroke internal combustion piston engine in which one or more valves in the fully open position extends into any area that the piston may travel into. By contrast, a non-interference engine is one where the piston does not travel into any area into which the valves open. Interference engines rely on timing gears, chains, or belts to prevent the piston from striking the valves by ensuring that the valves are closed when the piston is near top dead center. Interference engines are prevalent among modern production automobiles and many other 4-stroke engine applications; the main advantage is that it allows engine designers to maximize the engine's compression ratio. However, such engines risk major internal damage if the piston strikes the valve(s) due to failure or poor maintenance of the timing components and/or camshaft(s).[1]

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Boy I'm getting a hell of an education here. I kinda had an idea what an "interference engine" was, but I looked it up on Wikipedia just to be sure. For those of us who are not as technically inclined as others are on this site here's the definition:

An interference engine is a type of 4-stroke internal combustion piston engine in which one or more valves in the fully open position extends into any area that the piston may travel into. By contrast, a non-interference engine is one where the piston does not travel into any area into which the valves open. Interference engines rely on timing gears, chains, or belts to prevent the piston from striking the valves by ensuring that the valves are closed when the piston is near top dead center. Interference engines are prevalent among modern production automobiles and many other 4-stroke engine applications; the main advantage is that it allows engine designers to maximize the engine's compression ratio. However, such engines risk major internal damage if the piston strikes the valve(s) due to failure or poor maintenance of the timing components and/or camshaft(s).[1]
Thank you for that. I thought I was the only one here who doesn't know what they are talking about half the time. It is definitely a great place to get an education. Aren't we lucky, because we will also be getting an Elio as a graduation present. :-) Z

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Thanks, not being a Motörhead I just skimmed through the prior posts. Thanks for the very useful explanation.

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The use of a timing chain on the Elio engine translates to a low-maintenance long-running engine. Timing chains typically last the life of the engine without requiring servicing. There are scads of cars with hundreds of thousands of miles on them still running on the original timing chains, while there are many in the junkyards from having a timing belt shear teeth and wreck the interference engine.
I am more interested to know what the cylinder walls are going to be. Has anyone read about that?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The use of a timing chain on the Elio engine translates to a low-maintenance long-running engine. Timing chains typically last the life of the engine without requiring servicing. There are scads of cars with hundreds of thousands of miles on them still running on the original timing chains, while there are many in the junkyards from having a timing belt shear teeth and wreck the interference engine.
I am more interested to know what the cylinder walls are going to be. Has anyone read about that?
I was going to try to go find the information for you but I just noticed goofyone is the current moderator and he is great at answering these kind of technical questions. I believe the subject was covered in a Tech Talk if these cylinders are the same ones that will be Flame Sprayed. :-) Z

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Flame sprayed then honed.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
John, Welcome to the forum where you will find all the information about the Elio. Using the forum search function will help you quickly find the appropriate threads. Thanks for jumping right in and asking questions. We are a helpful friendly bunch and someone will always have an answer. Enjoy this historic journey.

Top Bottom