• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheels & Tires

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Read the news about Cooper Tire being replaced by Continental as the OEM production tire supplier. The tire is called the ProContact GX a low rolling resistance all weather steel belted radial. The sizes listed were 135/80 R15 in front and 175/65 R15 in the rear. This is the first time I've seen the sizes listed from any semi-reliable source.

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Read the news about Cooper Tire being replaced by Continental as the OEM production tire supplier. The tire is called the ProContact GX a low rolling resistance all weather steel belted radial. The sizes listed were 135/80 R15 in front and 175/65 R15 in the rear. This is the first time I've seen the sizes listed from any semi-reliable source.
I wonder if cooper makes any of those sizes already...if so I will sacrifice mpg for the reliability and great luck I have had with coopers.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Continental tires are oem on alot of cars. Doesn't surprise me cool thing is we know the size now

135/80 15
175/65 15

on Continental's website they do not list a 135 tire .... they do show 3 tires size 175/65 15's as shown in this link .... recently Jerome told one of our members that the tires on the P5 may not be the same as those that will be used on production vehicles ... if 135's are to be used, Continental is going to have to come up with a new tire .... given the lead time, that shouldn't be a major problem and with the number of tires they will be producing they should be highly motivated to do so

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will the valve stem for the front tires be facing inside? It looks like it would be much more accessible that way.

To reach the valve stem for the rear tire, the vehicle will have to be moved slowly (perhaps by hand) until it appears at the bottom.
But one less time than you'd have to on a Honda Insight! :D otherwise the rear cowling is supposed easily detach for access to the rear wheel.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Bridgestone still produces LRR tires for the INSIGHT G1 size 165/65/14 even though the G1 ceased production in 2006. (Only around 20K G1s made.)
It probably wouldn't be hard to make a 15" instead of a 14" tire.
They were the BEST for Excellent MPG, excellent in the rain, don't know about the snow, average miles before replacing (WEAR BARS) around 40K. Priced below 100 buck. Vehicle weight 2k, ELIO lighter, should wear better.
Firestone and Bridgestone now same company.

Willie

Last edited:
Top Bottom