• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Waffling On Base Price. Can They Make $6,800?

What will be the actual base price of the Elio (excluding taxes,delivery and paperwork)

• $6,800

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • $7,000

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • $7,200

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • $7,500

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • over $7,500

Votes: 17 15.6%

• Total voters

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tax
Title
Delivery
Dealer Prep
are the things I remember from my last new car.
So if I pick my car up in Shreveport I have to wonder how this will work.
My sales tax should be paid in Texas.
That's part of the title issue
Will we also have to pay Louisiana sales tax?​
Dealer Prep?
No dealer to prep it.​
Delivery?
Will the reservationists be paying delivery on factory pickup?​
Would be good to get some clarification on these issues.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget, that $6,800 goal includes $1000 profit built-in. Which means they're already there from a cost perspective. If they were willing to take a hit to their bottom line, they could still sell at $6,800, albiet with a lower profit margin (about $500 per Elio).
But if it came down to that, I would bet on them selling at $7,300 and still making their $1k profit, rather than reducing their profit margain.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lets say the inflation on the dollar has averaged .02 percent for 5 years. That's only about $68 added to the target price. This year has averaged less than .02 percent so I don't see paying much over the original $6800. If this were a government owned company we could have started production in 2008 and supply one for free to everyone in the nation. Anyone need an Obama phone?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Think "lost leader" To maintain credibility, I believe they will sell all -the all-ins, to a certain closing date, for the 6.8k as advertised and promoted.
The next day announce the increase for the want ins and all new orders ( and drop all the incentives)
EM will have to "bite the bullet"!!

Reactions: Ekh

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lets say the inflation on the dollar has averaged .02 percent for 5 years. That's only about $68 added to the target price. This year has averaged less than .02 percent so I don't see paying much over the original $6800. If this were a government owned company we could have started production in 2008 and supply one for free to everyone in the nation. Anyone need an Obama phone?
Heard the radio ad today.
500 free minutes for the first three (or was it four?) months and unlimited texting.
350 free minutes per month with unlimited texting from then on.

Last edited:

lnwlf40

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, with the bonus $$ they indicated I would receive with my All In contribution, the final price could reach $7650 and I still wouldn't be forking out any extra money over the planned $6800 for my Elio (not included taxes, title, and license, which is fine)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Haven't they said they are already down to $7300 now?
Yes, that's what I read sometime back, which is probably more realistic. The Hello Elio campaign in '08 had the base price at way under $7500. Given inflation over 7 years $7300 would be a very admirable fnal price point.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with GPA, the title to this thread needs to be changed.
Here's what "waffling" means:
waf·fle1
ˈwäfəl/
informal
verb
gerund or present participle: waffling
North American
fail to make up one's mind.
"Joseph had been waffling over where to go"

It's not like they have constantly been changing the price; they have always said the target was $6,800 and that is since day one. Here it is 8 years later (3 since it came out to the public) they have been consistent.
It's just been since it's come down to crunch time that they found hitting that target is going to be tuff.
My definition of Waffling:

image.jpg

Joseph had been waffling over where to go the Waffle House or IHOP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom