• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Vehicle Status In Ohio

Reaction score
I am really close to putting down some money and reserving a spot in line. My concern is from the Ohio BMV page: http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/faq_three_wheel.stm

According to this and what I've seen elsewhere, the Elio will be classified as a motorcycle, and thus require a corresponding license endorsement for 3 wheeled vehicles (and wear a helmet?). Does anyone have more current or detailed information than that link?

Hey Brian, Did you see the OHIO LAWS have been changed. Governor signed it April first and they go into effect June first. No helmets or endorsements required to operate the elio. We got it man ! So you coming to celebrate with us Saturday May 23rd? Long time no hear from. We are asking for RSVPs at this time, so write in please.

BUCKEYE JAKE'S CELEBRATION PARTY

NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE

!!!!!!!!!!!! RSVP ASAP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, May 23 2015

Schmidt's Sausage Haus

240 East Kossuth St.

Columbus, OH 43206

1:00pm

German meal buffet $15.85 (includes drink)

Buffet menu is listed under banquet room, then german village if you would like to see at website www.schmidthaus.com

Have banquets room for 3 hours

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OhioElioOwners/

Brian Arthur

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Hey, LillyMay. That's GREAT news!!! Sorry I haven't been on the forum in a long time. I was looking around investigating motorcycle training courses today and happened to sign back in here.
Unfortunately, Columbus on short notice is a long trip with 4 kids and a lot of stuff going on, so I won't be able to make it to this party.

Brian Arthur

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Looking at the Ohio Transportation Bill:
I can understand the legal word-smithing about helmets being exempted in Section C3.

(C)(3): Divisions (C)(1) and (2)(a) of this section do not apply to a person who operates or is a passenger in a cab-enclosed motorcycle when the occupant compartment top is in place enclosing the occupants.

But from my reading of the passages, I do not see (or maybe just don't understand) if this exemption applies to requiring a motorcycle license. Am I missing that or is a license still required?

Last edited:
Top Bottom