• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Trading In Your Old Car When Getting Your Elio

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My Elio is going to be a replacement for my 1994 Saturn SL2. It has 126524 miles on the odometer, and that is what it has had since 2006 when the odometer stopped working. I don't use it that much, but it probably has 150 to 160k on it. It runs smoothly, starts easily, gets 34mpg+ on the highway, doesn't use oil, rattles and is sort of noisy inside. It has a blue book value of almost nothing - maybe $500. I think it is worth more than that. I really do not know what I can do with it. I could donate it to one of the places that takes car donations, (CarsForKids, etc), but that would not gain me anything - the tax donation is an itemizable entry, and I haven't been able to itemize for years.

I don't even know if Carmax would want it. But I need to find something to do with it - maybe late next year. Any ideas, forum?
According to the Carmax ad on TV, you should be able to take it to them to sell. You will just have to be happy with whatever they give you, they are in it for the money and won't give you the same as what you might get selling it yourself. It would be out of your hair more quickly and painlessly though. Something to take into consideration.

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As long as I can get 22,000 more miles out of my grand am it will be going to the salvage yard when my Elio gets home. By then it will have 235,000 on it and be worth around $300 in scrap. We don't keep them around like we used to. A few years ago I would have just driven it out to the farm and let it sit.

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Production quota for the first year is rapidly approaching that 40,000 mark
I just went to Elio Motors site to see this posting:
Number of current reservations: 35373
(As of Oct 12, 2014)
Looks like on this forum, everyone is planning well for the future!
Elio <>84 mpg, $6,800.00 MADE IN OUR USA (3rd quarter 2015)
Terrence :)

Top Bottom