• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Tinted Windows

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMG_2636.JPG
I asked Elio about tinted windows and here is their reply.

ABC123

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
In NY, if the tint is installed by the manufacturer, it's acceptable. For years you could install tint after market, even though it was illegal. This is the first year where cars with after market tint did not pass inspection. To pass, you had to pay to have it removed. That sucks.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tint is still legal... you just have to be below the threshold and follow the rules. It's also simple enough to do once you know what you are doing. I'm not one of those people who does tint with horrible bubbles (seriously, how do they do that?) but have tinted my own windows for years.

The New York law doesn't prohibit window tint, of course but just prohibits it the same as they always have. The difference now is that the enforcement is done at the DMV level instead of at the police level.

The official DMV site:
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tinted-windows

And the YouTube site they reference you to in order to explain how they test tint:

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Doug, Were you askin about the dark tint that is usually a film applied to the inside of the glass?
Or. The light tint that is a part of the glass? Or. Maybe even the top of the windshield, usually a dark green?

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Doug, Were you askin about the dark tint that is usually a film applied to the inside of the glass?
Or. The light tint that is a part of the glass? Or. Maybe even the top of the windshield, usually a dark green?
Factory tint is part of the glass.
Aftermarket tint is the film.
I want factory tint.

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even if it costs more for Elio installed, I would pay it
I'd only get tinted windows from Elio if it is cheaper than getting it done at a tint shop.
Factory tint is part of the glass.
Aftermarket tint is the film.
I want factory tint.
I also want factory tint!

Top Bottom