• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Thread(s) Of Elio As Long-distance Highway Machine

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, now why wouldn't they want to go with this type of hood latch...I mean really, this couldn't cost THAT much more than the pins...

You are correct, it does not cost THAT much more, however you are also missing the bigger picture. From what we understand it is about $3 for the hood pins vs $20 for a more the conventional hood latch with interior release handle. While saving $17 does not appear to be a lot of money making decisions like this is indeed one big way that EM is engineering this car to be so inexpensive. Every time they encounter a decision like this they study it and opt for the option which is both effective and least expensive when all costs involved are considered.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since the hood opens opposite of what we normally experience (hinges from the front) how would you access the release lever?

My Vega's hood opened forward like the Elio. Pulled the cable to pop the hood, and a small release lever was right in the center...super easy. But G1 makes a good point a couple of posts up. Keep the cost down to meet the $6800 goal.

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are correct, it does not cost THAT much more, however you are also missing the bigger picture. From what we understand it is about $3 for the hood pins vs $20 for a more the conventional hood latch with interior release handle. While saving $17 does not appear to be a lot of money making decisions like this is indeed one big way that EM is engineering this car to be so inexpensive. Every time they encounter a decision like this they study it and opt for the option which is both effective and least expensive when all costs involved are considered.

That's actually a lot more of a difference in cost than I thought it would be...now I can see why they went the route they chose...

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The forward-opening hood gives amazing access to the engine bay. I've had that arrangement on a couple of cars and found it most helpful. While it doesn't require a "safety latch" because on the road, air pressure will keep it down, it does require a couple of "hooks" on the underside to engage and keep it from driving through the windshield in a crash. That's pretty cheap and easy.

One thing that we (or EM) will have to be aware of: the old Shelby Mustangs used to use these hood pins too (mostly for their "racy" appearance), and they quickly became favorites of parking lot "souvenir hunters". Owners were constantly having to replace the locking pins as they wouldn't last a week in some parking areas. Ford (and others since) have fixed most of the problem with loops of stainless cable that secure the locking pin to the plate on the hood while allowing them to be removed from the static pin. OK, someone with a good pair of wire cutters can still collect them, but at least it slows them down.

P2020010.jpg

More recently, the pins include built-in locking cylinders.
[Broken External Image]

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
One thing that we (or EM) will have to be aware of: the old Shelby Mustangs used to use these hood pins too (mostly for their "racy" appearance), and they quickly became favorites of parking lot "souvenir hunters".

with the pin Elio has on the P4 (picture in post 106) there isn't much to steal

Top Bottom