• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Talk Me Into Taking The Plunge Thread

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That simply shows their lack of trust in Paul Elio and EM. I find that truly sad. :( Z

con-men make money by getting folks to trust them and buy what they have to sale .... honest salesmen make money by getting folks to trust them and buy what they have to sale .... which one is he, time will tell .... my sincere hope is that he is honest in his pursuit of building his company and selling is product .... I'm fortunate in that even if I could walk into a dealership and buy one today, I'm not ready to make that move .... in a year, possibly two I will be so I have time to wait, watch, and learn

Jim

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For those that don't feel comfortable with making a non-refundable deposit.......but like the Elio........make a minimal refundable deposit.......at least you are on the reservation list and showing support.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If he were a con man, he would be a pretty good one - and actually that gives me confidence...

Here's why: Even if all 30,000 reservations are all-in at 1k, that's only 30,000 dollars. How much do you think it costs to build the prototypes, pay employees, cover design costs, lease factory space, etc etc etc?

If the goal is to make money off of those reservations, they're doing a pretty terrible job.
They don't strike me as people who are doing a terrible job, thus I'm inclined to be a believer.

Sure they're getting money from investors elsewhere that they could be scamming or trying to bleed before tanking. But those investors are almost certainly getting more numbers and hard information than we are before ponying up the cash.
All things considered, it seems more likely to me that asking for cash-down reservations is truly just a tool to show investors that there is serious - not speculative or hypothetical - interest in the product.

minor math issue : 30,000 reservations X $1,000 per reservation = $30,000,000 .... that's a whole different ball park .... I do hope he's for real

Jim

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For those that don't feel comfortable with making a non-refundable deposit.......but like the Elio........make a minimal refundable deposit.......at least you are on the reservation list and showing support.

that seems to be very good advice .... if the company vanishes into the night a person's loss has been minimized .... if the company makes a go of it, a person should get their vehicle somewhat earlier

Jim

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
con-men make money by getting folks to trust them and buy what they have to sale .... honest salesmen make money by getting folks to trust them and buy what they have to sale .... which one is he, time will tell .... my sincere hope is that he is honest in his pursuit of building his company and selling is product .... I'm fortunate in that even if I could walk into a dealership and buy one today, I'm not ready to make that move .... in a year, possibly two I will be so I have time to wait, watch, and learn

Jim
The only con you are going to see associated with Paul Elio will be CONgratulations...........when the first Elio rolls off the line and is delivered to his front door.......I assume he is #1 and proud of it.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When it comes to vehicles, it takes years for people to trust in the companies that build them, and it takes decades to get over a bad rep...not saying that Elio has a bad rep, or even will have, I'm just saying that's the way it is...
Ah, but you see, that is why I trust Elio in spite of the delays. To me, the delays are definite signs that they are doing it right the first time. Everyone compares them to the big 3 and other auto makers and that is their mistake. They have learned from the mistakes of others because they only have one chance. It the Elio isn't right out of the door, the company will fail. This is Paul Elio's Baby. There is no way he is going to take a chance on that happening. Do it right and get it right the first time is the only way to go with the Elio. :-) Z

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
But all 30,000 reservations are not $1000. Only about a third of them are.

about 10,000 reservations X $1,000 per reservation = about $10,000,000 .... that doesn't include whatever has come in from the other roughly 20,000 reservations + money from investors + store sales profits + whatever else .... legitimate or shaky, put it all together and this isn't a little league operation

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom