• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Chris Fix in his video described the small mirrors as "not cutting it". I agree they should be larger for safety and ease of use. However the smaller mirrors have been retained, probably because larger mirrors would reduce the mpg. The small mirrors will always be hazardous and the mpg will not even be noticed.

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Chris Fix in his video described the small mirrors as "not cutting it". I agree they should be larger for safety and ease of use. However the smaller mirrors have been retained, probably because larger mirrors would reduce the mpg. The small mirrors will always be hazardous and the mpg will not even be noticed.
Gimme that rear view camera and the lane warning gizmo. No bumpers means don't even THINK of contacting anything behind (or in front) of you.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio is sacrificing styling for the sake of mpg when gas prices are at their lowest in many years. It is possible these lower gas prices are long term. The market for the Eliowas going to be very large because it appealed to both mpg and sporty minded people. Now that market will be smaller because the sporting people will be less attracted to it. Gone are the striking good looks that grabbed peoples attention.

Paul originally intended to design an economy vehicle. He accidentally designed a vehicle that was also beautiful. Perhaps he does not realize this. He is an engineer. (I am an engineer too.) The field of engineering has a very high nerd index. Many engineers are not in touch with people nor what they like. If Paul Elio would have left the front like it was in the P3 with contoured fenders, open suspension, and diagonal coil-over shocks, many more people would be wanting to buy the Elio. He still has the mpg people but has driven off the sporty people. There will be far fewer buyers. It may be difficult to sell those 250,000 vehicles per year. The future of Elio Motors is less secure.

I would have to politely disagree, I think some of the sporty people will make the changes they want to after they get their Elio and other sporty people will buy something else. At a projected price of $6800, I believe Paul is after the folks that can't afford a new car or don't want to buy a used car. Most of these folks just want basic, affordable and reliable transportation. To me, not an engineer I see the differences as being suttel changes and I think we will all have to wait for the final product before we can judge and further. After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I would have to politely disagree, I think some of the sporty people will make the changes they want to after they get their Elio and other sporty people will buy something else. At a projected price of $6800, I believe Paul is after the folks that can't afford a new car or don't want to buy a used car. Most of these folks just want basic, affordable and reliable transportation. To me, not an engineer I see the differences as being suttel changes and I think we will all have to wait for the final product before we can judge and further. After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
That's an item that was brought up when I was at the Portland Tour stop; the new car market is not worried about the Elio, but the used car market is.
The used car market would have to lower prices to be competitive; dealerships make more money per vehicle with used cars than they do with new.
It's a known that dealerships don't make a lot off a new car sale, it's the service departments and "add on" pieces (extended warranties, scotch guard on the interior, paint treatments, etc.) along with used cars are the cash cows.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's an item that was brought up when I was at the Portland Tour stop; the new car market is not worried about the Elio, but the used car market is.
The used car market would have to lower prices to be competitive; dealerships make more money per vehicle with used cars than they do with new.
It's a known that dealerships don't make a lot off a new car sale, it's the service departments and "add on" pieces (extended warranties, scotch guard on the interior, paint treatments, etc.) along with used cars are the cash cows.

Used car dealers actually got a windfall with Cash for Clunkers program since the old cars traded in had to go to the crusher. It took old cars off the road without making them available for resale. As a result they got premium prices for used cars for a while (maybe still).
The Elio will bite into that some what.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of which. I plan to add a stylish nerf bar to the front of my Elio! Sometimes you just need some sort of bumper, and that'll fit the bill!

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Used car dealers actually got a windfall with Cash for Clunkers program since the old cars traded in had to go to the crusher. It took old cars off the road without making them available for resale. As a result they got premium prices for used cars for a while (maybe still).
Just to add to the discussion, my local junkyard is up to $450 for a non-running junker..

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That program took place in 2009 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Allowance_Rebate_System
But if you look it up now, it appears that it's still exists in a modified version http://www.cashforclunkers.org/

That program was to get "junk" cars off the road and get people to buy "New".
Great idea, but the fat cats got greedy (again) and started bumping the price of new cars up.
And they don't give you anything for trade-ins, but they sure mark those trade-ins up after.
A lot of "used" cars cost almost as much as New

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
P5
[Broken External Image]

P4
4-dsc07965.jpg

Top Bottom