• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Ever Falling Hp Of The Elio.... :(

How slow are you willing to go 0-60 mph?

• the faster the better!

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • under 8.0 sec

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • under 9.0 sec

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • under 10.0 sec (original Elio claim)

Votes: 89 58.9%
  • As slow as necessary to ensure 84 mgp hwy

Votes: 26 17.2%

• Total voters

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
... BTW does the Elio have turn signals? .... :) Z
Absolutely. All licensed street legal vehicle vehicles require signals. A range of locations are in the requirements.

I do believe you'll see in fender LED signals as an aftermarket product. The Cam-Am spider has them available, so in my opinion it's inevitable for the Elio. If they take too long, I'll make my own. One thing to be careful of, the lights should not be directly visible to the driver, even while turning. It causes night blindness at the worst possible time. In my case I'd make a little cave at the back that makes a natural blind for the driver. LED's at the front would not likely ever be a problem.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You're right. I didn't notice that. LOL BTW does the Elio have turn signals? I know motorcycles use hand signals - or I guess I should say I think they do but I would think part of the 5 star safety rating would require turn signals. :) Z
AriLea said:
"All licensed street legal vehicle vehicles require signals."
Z, look closely at my avitar.
AriLea, that's not exactly true.

From http://www.ehow.com/list_7356561_federal-regulations-motorcycle-turn-signals.html:
The Federal Highway Administration oversees regulations pertaining to motorcycle turn signals.
FHA standards are applicable on all interstate highways, and most states have adopted the FHA guidelines for state and other roadways. This is not true in all states, however. Texas, for example, doesn't require motorcycles to have turn signals. It is advisable, nonetheless, to have turn signals on all motorcycles for safetyicon1.png and legal considerations."

If you do have them on your bike in Texas, they've got to work to pass inspection.

The state of Kansas, for example: (Turn signals are) "Required for motorcycles manufactured on or after 1/1/1973; KSA 8-1804 "

Again from the FHA: "Motorcycles used exclusively off-road, such as those used for motorcross racing, are not required to have turn signals installed."

Last edited:

DScott

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just drove my 993 cc engined Suzuki Swift to and from work, a 90 mile round trip. almost all of it on one of the busiest stretches of any motorway here in UK. Although this car has only 52 bhp and probably weighs almost twice what an Elio will, I had absolutely no difficulty getting up to speed, keeping up with the traffic or merging on or off. The car will easily do 90 mph and cruises very easily at 70 mph. I even overtook a few BMWs...

The Elio will be quicker.

How fast do you need to go?

Wheaters, I just noticed you are in the UK. I was in London when I posted last..just 16 hours ago. I wish I would have known.

ArthurKent

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Just to clue in those who think the cars of yesteryear were all really fast ....
Just checked on some car magazine tests of the1967 Austin-Healey 3000 MkII.
You have to remember first that horspower before 1972 was measured and reported as
gross horsepower, which generally ran about 33% higher than the net HP we report nowadays.
The Healey's 0 to 60 acceleration times was reported by three magazines as 10, 11 and 11.5
seconds. All times were slower than the Elio.The Healey was a sports car and considered fairly
quick - it had an inline 6 cylinder 3 liter engine with twin SU carbs. The car weighed around 2500
pounds.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They may not have been actually fast, but they felt fast. There is a school of thought that 'slow cars that feel fast' are much more direct, engaging, fun to drive, and ultimately safer too.

I can hop in an Nissan Maxima and rapidly and effortlessly speed 135 and it will feel like I'm going 55, but when you hit something at 135, it's not very forgiving.

Conversely, I think that driving 55 in the Elio will feel like 95.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snick, I understand your point. Different cars give different sensations of how fast you are going. In my Dodge Caravan I feel like I am speeding but look at the speedometer and I am going slower than the speed limit. :)

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snick, I understand your point. Different cars give different sensations of how fast you are going. In my Dodge Caravan I feel like I am speeding but look at the speedometer and I am going slower than the speed limit. :)

So THAT's why you minivan drivers are always clogging up traffic! ;D

Top Bottom