• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All true ...However the mitigating issue is the head studs . I have no idea whats under the Elio valve cover . If they use similar studs , the job will be relatively expensive . Naturally not like the 8 cylinder NorthStar but stupid dollars nonetheless . As you stated , it should not be an issue until the Elio is out of warranty . And honestly , for $6800 ...Who cares ? :D
I don't think repairing a warped head on the Elio will be all that tough. The engine is quite simple and with only three small cylinders, it won't take much to pull a head, toss it to the side and put a new one on. But, keep in mind overheating a low rev high torque motor like the Elio has will be highly unlikely.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the stock spark plug is good enough to burn 100% of all the fuel being poured into the cylinder, what's the point of spending money on "fancy" plugs? What are they going to burn that wasn't already being burned? "Yeah, but it has a hotter spark" Who cares? As long as the fuel is consumed and the expansion is complete, it doesn't matter what caused the spark. Now, on old carbureted cars that spit raw gas out the back, sure, a stronger spark would be a benefit... as would limiting the fuel being put in there.

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the stock spark plug is good enough to burn 100% of all the fuel being poured into the cylinder, what's the point of spending money on "fancy" plugs? What are they going to burn that wasn't already being burned? "Yeah, but it has a hotter spark" Who cares? As long as the fuel is consumed and the expansion is complete, it doesn't matter what caused the spark. Now, on old carbureted cars that spit raw gas out the back, sure, a stronger spark would be a benefit... as would limiting the fuel being put in there.
No car burns 100% of fuel, that's what the catalytic converter is for. As for a "hotter spark," from those fancy spark plugs, they are going to be a waste. I saw some advertising for my Mustang for them and did some research. Everyone was saying it is a waste of money and you aren't going to see any more power because of them.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No car burns 100% of fuel, that's what the catalytic converter is for. As for a "hotter spark," from those fancy spark plugs, they are going to be a waste. I saw some advertising for my Mustang for them and did some research. Everyone was saying it is a waste of money and you aren't going to see any more power because of them.
What I would like to see in a plug system is longevity. Better burn characteristics are attractive, but I wouldn't expect miracle results or anything. like that.

Top Bottom