• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well Ty I don't think even IAV who made the engine can really supply that much volume in a year because you have to realize that they are also supplying engines on other car manufacturers from what I read here. I understand fully that volume is key to EM making at least decent money from this project considering the price point that they are trying to sell it per unit but starting TOO BIG TOO EARLY for a start up that have not manufactured a single car/trike is an enormous task and no fund to keep the ball rolling! Don't get me wrong, there's no backing out for me because they've got my deposit so I'm still hopeful that the fund they're seeking is approved and wishing it's enough to start and sustain the long awaited production of our beloved ELIO. ;)
IAV will not be supplying the engine... only the engineering and some assistance setting up the production line. Elio will be producing their own engines. "...Alongside IAV watching and then doing with IAV watching and eventually, IAV will go away and we'll build them by ourselves"

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some misguided person like you recently proposed three different engines that had about 55 HP and 55 Ft Lbs of torque. All relatively recent engines.
I checked them and found that they had all been discontinued.
You are also missing the point that the Elio falls under a category that will require 75 MPG to meet ATVM requirements.
And while your time and resources are apparently either unlimited or of no value, it costs both time and money to test each combination.
And since the 75 MPG is critical you would have to be a fool to put that type of requirement stability in someone elses control.

As far as my "meds", thank you for your concern. My cardiologists and my electro cardiologist both feel they are just fine, and based on the latest test, my pacemaker should last another 5 or 6 years.
...and you can always replace that battery after 5 or 6 years and then your ELIO will be ready!:D

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IAV will not be supplying the engine... only the engineering and some assistance setting up the production line. Elio will be producing their own engines. "...Alongside IAV watching and then doing with IAV watching and eventually, IAV will go away and we'll build them by ourselves"
Thank you for correcting me on that Ty.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How'd they know if these current 3 cy. engines out there(not the old Geo motor-it's discontinued) will meet their criteria- well they won't because they want to go for BIGGER THINGS right away like making their OWN engine with hardly any budget! Am I making sense to you? ;):D

a while back Paul answered that question on video .... he said that their first effort was to find a motor already in production, what would meet EM's needs, at the price point EM needed, that the manufacture could (or was willing to) produce in the numbers needed .... he said once it was determined there wasn't one, they had to commit to designing/building their own .... not being there to witness the process and without having any proof to the contrary, I can only believe what he says .... granted, some tend to prefer to make their own assessments without having access to the facts of the process .... when/if EM goes into production, none of this will matter

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some misguided person like you recently proposed three different engines that had about 55 HP and 55 Ft Lbs of torque. All relatively recent engines.
I checked them and found that they had all been discontinued.
You are also missing the point that the Elio falls under a category that will require 75 MPG to meet ATVM requirements.
And while your time and resources are apparently either unlimited or of no value, it costs both time and money to test each combination.
And since the 75 MPG is critical you would have to be a fool to put that type of requirement stability in someone elses control.

As far as my "meds", thank you for your concern. My cardiologists and my electro cardiologist both feel they are just fine, and based on the latest test, my pacemaker should last another 5 or 6 years.
Please tell us wise one how'd you figured how much time and money it costs to test each combination, as you eloquently put it, on an EXISTING ENGINE as opposed to BUILDING AN ENGINE FROM SCRATCH? Please enlighten me o wise one!:D

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
a while back Paul answered that question on video .... he said that their first effort was to find a motor already in production, what would meet EM's needs, at the price point EM needed, that the manufacture could (or was willing to) produce in the numbers needed .... he said once it was determined there wasn't one, they had to commit to designing/building their own .... not being there to witness the process and without having any proof to the contrary, I can only believe what he says .... granted, some tend to prefer to make their own assessments without having access to the facts of the process .... when/if EM goes into production, none of this will matter
I totally respect your opinion JEBar. The price point is the key issue there - how much EM was offering to pay them to do it! So now they instead paying IAV to develop the engine for them, guide and teach the workers, start the engine assembly line,the supply chain for parts, etc. - it's either or and which one was the cheaper route! We all want out ELIO to be at least 90% US made and I'm all for that, we all want our ELIO to still be priced at the base $6,800( not including the necessary fees, taxes) and I'm also for that! Will we see our ELIO next year in our driveway?? Why not!;)

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wish it was that easy. They literally have to cut you open and dig out the old pacemaker then check the leads before installing a new one. I'm on number 2 so I've been through the process before.
Now that's not funny and I'm out of line so I apologize! My dad died from heart failure a long time ago and he also had a pacemaker that kept his old enlarged heart beating.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Please tell us wise one how'd you figured how much time and money it costs to test each combination, as you eloquently put it, on an EXISTING ENGINE as opposed to BUILDING AN ENGINE FROM SCRATCH? Please enlighten me o wise one!:D

It isn't just the engine. It's the engine and trans axle and the combinations depending on the engine specs. And that requires multiple engine/ trans axle combinations. And my experience ranges from swapping out engine / trans axle combos in VW bugs to doing Waukesha 900 cu. in. gas engine swaps in Peter Pirsch aerial ladder trucks to drive train swaps in Corvettes from 283 cu. in - 270 HP V8 to a bored out 348 cu. in V8. And swapping engines in various other vehicles.

Top Bottom