• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
any comments about your experiences (negatives and positives) in learning to use an AMT would be appreciated

Jim
I just drive mine like a conventional automatic. I thought the shift paddles would be cool, but found them unrewarding. the smart shifts like an old school endurance racer. Pretty slow, put your foot in it and it and it plays well. I love to listen to the system work and know when it will shift or not most of the time. About the only time I use the manual control is in snow and heavy traffic. it will still override your gear choice if it thinks you will hurt the car.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just drive mine like a conventional automatic. I thought the shift paddles would be cool, but found them unrewarding. the smart shifts like an old school endurance racer. Pretty slow, put your foot in it and it and it plays well. I love to listen to the system work and know when it will shift or not most of the time. About the only time I use the manual control is in snow and heavy traffic. it will still override your gear choice if it thinks you will hurt the car.

thanks for taking the time to relate your experience with an AMT

Jim

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm doing what I can to postpone a second surgery on my left knee and with much of my driving being in big cities, a manual tranny is out of the question .... the last vehicle I purchased with a manual transmission was a 1978 Jeep J-10 pickup that I kept for 24 years .... I don't ever anticipate buying another

Jim

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm doing what I can to postpone a second surgery on my left knee and with much of my driving being in big cities, a manual tranny is out of the question .... the last vehicle I purchased with a manual transmission was a 1978 Jeep J-10 pickup that I kept for 24 years .... I don't ever anticipate buying another

Jim
Wow,
I've never kept a house more than 12 years. Couldn't imagine driving the same vehicle for 24.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow,
I've never kept a house more than 12 years. Couldn't imagine driving the same vehicle for 24.

:) .... we've been in the same house since 1978 .... when we buy a vehicle we do so with a purpose in mind ... so long as it provides good service doing what we want it to do, we keep it .... examples : we kept an '88 Chevy S10 Blazer for 18 years, a '95 Buick Park Avenue for 19 years (sold it less than 6 months ago), we still have and drive a 2000 Buick Park Avenue, an '02 Chevy Tahoe which is still run on a daily basis, still have an '05 Chevy Trailbazer which we hope to have for many years to come .... our "New" vehicle is a 2011 Chevy 1500 Silverado with 60 some thousand miles that I drive when we are home .... for us an Elio will accumulate cheap (comparatively) miles off of our other cars/trucks .... if it proves to be as good as we hope, the Elio may be the last new vehicle we purchase

Jim

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think there is confusion with the definitions.

AMT- Automatic Manual transmission. It is a Manual with electrically commanded, hydraulically actuated clutch. The exact same Manual transmission with an automatic clutch.

An automatic transmission with a manual override is still an automatic.

The concepts are NOT interchangeable.

Last edited:

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Jim
When I had to get my left hip replaced my son had to give me rides in some of my toys for a while. You get this stuff repaired so you can live. You choose how you do that. My favorite rides are both manuals. Use it or...

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You get this stuff repaired so you can live. You choose how you do that. My favorite rides are both manuals. Use it or...

understood and completely agree .... my first vehicle was a '65 Jeep CJ-5 with a three speed manual transmission and I still regret ever parting with it .... that said, I no longer enjoy so much as the thought of driving most anything with a manual transmission .... even my John Deere tractor has a hydrostatic transmission ..:)

Jim

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
understood and completely agree .... my first vehicle was a '65 Jeep CJ-5 with a three speed manual transmission and I still regret ever parting with it .... that said, I no longer enjoy so much as the thought of driving most anything with a manual transmission .... even my John Deere tractor has a hydrostatic transmission ..:)

Jim
As is my tractor. You operate one of those rather than ride or drive them. You can't buy a new manual Ferrari anymore. They only sell automated manuals today. Choice is the spice of life.

Top Bottom