• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Blade

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
3D printing (especially DMLS, i.e. functional metal parts) is a really cool new technology, but I don't think EM has much use for it right now. The advantage of 3D printing is to be able to design and make smaller complicated parts quickly and without the cost of buying tooling. Since EM is using primarily off-the-shelf components for those, they don't need to 3D print any of that stuff. The only custom things left are the body panels and frame which are more easily accomplished using soft tooling and welded construction.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We used to have an Arcam EBM 3d printer out here. Very accurate, but also pretty slow, and could make parts out of several different materials...titanium when I was over there. The part was claimed to be (and tested in the lab to prove it) stronger than a cast part, but not as strong as a forged part. It was basically used for testing new splice fitting designs [fitment], or making a physical model for splash fittings [for when you REALLY screwed up and the engineers can't come up with a satfactory 'fix'], test fitted, modified as required, and sent to a CNC for the actual part. Nothing it made was, or ever will be used on an aircraft [at least fighter aircraft]. Don't know that I'd put my life on the line using a 3d printed part in lieu of good old fashion CNC billet or forged part for 'structural' components of a vehicle (trains, planes or automobiles) at this time, but the tech is getting exponentially better by the year. I may be eating those words by 2020.

http://www.arcam.com/technology/products/arcam-q10/

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know for a fact (though I'd prefer not to disclose any details) that a few aerospace production parts are starting to be manufactured via 3D printing. These parts are generally replacements for small castings (which are relatively expensive due to high tooling costs and low production volume) that due to their design can't be machined. Since the laser sintered material has better properties than cast, they can essentially be drop-in replacements of current designs. The next step will be to optimize these designs to take full advantage of 3D printing capabilities as well as produce smaller welded assemblies which could eliminate many complicated machining and fixturing operations.

Top Bottom