• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Refinements? No Thanks.

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's the beauty of the Elio it can be almost anything you want or can imagine. Welcome and enjoy the Elio experience

Thanks, Jim H

Like most (all?) Elio enthusiasts, I've got an idea of what after-market stuff will be added. At this point, I honestly don't anticipate making any radical changes - maybe a spiffy two-tone paint job and a cat-back exposed exhaust (similar to a Morgan). It will be fun to see the mods that others will make to their Elios once folks start to take delivery on them.

I started the thread because I like the fact that the Elio doesn't have power steering or power brakes. I doubt that will change because Mr. Elio's ethos is based on starting with a simple, no - nonsense vehicle platform. As it should be.

XanWolf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I can do without:

- Power windows
- Power steering
- Automatic tire inflation system (and that sort of extra)

However, for my daily driving (I plan for my Elio to be my commuter transport) I want:

- Auto Transmission
- Air Conditioning
- Visors which will allow me to block the sun from left, center or right in this case

It would be nice if it had factory tinting; but I suspect that the various state limits could make that tough to get right and so easily available locally...

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I can do without:

- Power windows
- Power steering
- Automatic tire inflation system (and that sort of extra)

However, for my daily driving (I plan for my Elio to be my commuter transport) I want:

- Auto Transmission
- Air Conditioning
- Visors which will allow me to block the sun from left, center or right in this case

It would be nice if it had factory tinting; but I suspect that the various state limits could make that tough to get right and so easily available locally...

I started the thread because I like the fact that the Elio doesn't have power steering or power brakes. I doubt that will change because Mr. Elio's ethos is based on starting with a simple, no - nonsense vehicle platform. As it should be.
The Elio doesn't need power steering; it's only 1,250 with rack and pinion steering, and it will work fine as long as you remember to roll a bit when turning.
I worked at a Lotus dealer back in the early 70's, and drove a Lotus Europa as a company car; it weighed 1,656 pounds and it didn't have or need both power steering or power brakes; and it was a joy to drive; handled like it was glued to the road, except when it was wet. It took a different driving style in the wet; quite controllable but it would get away from you in a hurry if you pushed it (mid-engine, rear wheel drive) it just liked to swap ends if you hung it out in a corner in the wet.

99619_011239000_1211366169[1].jpg

The Elio should be much better behaved because it's front wheel drive.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio doesn't need power steering; it's only 1,250 with rack and pinion steering, and it will work fine as long as you remember to roll a bit when turning.
I worked at a Lotus dealer back in the early 70's, and drove a Lotus Europa as a company car; it weighed 1,656 pounds and it didn't have or need both power steering or power brakes; and it was a joy to drive; handled like it was glued to the road, except when it was wet. It took a different driving style in the wet; quite controllable but it would get away from you in a hurry if you pushed it (mid-engine, rear wheel drive) it just liked to swap ends if you hung it out in a corner in the wet.

View attachment 10884

The Europa was a fun car to drive as long as you liked sloppy shifting, an under powered Renault engine and your shoe size was 7 or less....

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 10884

One of my all time favorite cars was the John Player Special version of the Europa! I'll never forget a review I read by an English Car magazine writer stating "You'll run out of courage before the Lotus runs out of road holding ability". The car was built for the American market and he said he understood the seat belt warning buzzer but did Yanks really have to be told to remove their key from the ignition? LOL

:cool: h_r

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The Europa was a fun car to drive as long as you liked sloppy shifting, an under powered Renault engine and your shoe size was 7 or less....
I wore a size 10 1/2 at the time, and couldn't drive it with my work boots on, only my low cut, narrow sneakers.
Best joy during the day was watching a female with a skirt get in and out of it (remember, this is during the early 70's) sometimes it was a gold star day. :becky:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The Europa reminds me of those little cars that shriners would drive in parades. I wonder what happened to them?
Very wrong; the Europa was a full size car that was amazing to drive. Factory rated it at a top speed of 117; I got mine up to 130. Only car I ever drove that would red line in 5th gear.
1974 Lotus Europa

The last year they built it was 1975; it was replaced by the Lotus Eclat & Lotus Esprit
The Lotus Esprit is the car they used in a James Bond movie that turned into a submarine
They built the Esprit from 1976 to 2004 and it went through 4 generation changes. If you can find those now, they are very expensive as a collector car.
1976 - 2004 Esprit

(In 1996 they started putting V8's in the Esprit)

Top Bottom