• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Quick Poll. Yes, Another Poll. This One About Transmissions.

Will you be buying a manual or automatic?

• Total voters

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will select the automatic
Terrence, welcome to the forum and to this merry band of Elio enthusiasts (mostly). Obviously you are somewhat familiar with the forum and I encourage you to use the search function to help on all topic areas. Looking forward to your comments in the forum and hope you find the journey and experience enjoyable and rewarding.

Aviator

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Great question, I prefer driving a manual trans for having a more hands on feel for the both the road and the machine. I like to keep my hand busy with driving and nothing else. No cell phone texting, touch screen dash board interface, or GPS, As far as I'm concerned you should have already set them up before leaving the parking lot. I also like the benefit that a manual trans usually gets better MPG and power to the wheels by not needing to use up 15hp to drive a hydraulic pump.

That being said a used vehicle with a manual trans I would demand that it has an inspection plate that could easily be removed to "inspect" the clutch condition. I have owned some cars that had this feature and with one screw removed a measurement could be taken as to the amount of clutch life is left.

With only 20% of the population now days knowing how to use a clutch properly this is a BIG concern. I have driven over 180,000 miles on a clutch and it measured 2/3 life left. I have also seen people destroy a clutch in 15,000 miles by abuse or inexperience.

Buying a used Elio with a manual trans would come down to 2 things for me. Knowing the condition of the clutch and being able to replace it easily myself when needed. These 2 factors alone determine resale value and overall condition of the rest of the car for me.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Buying a used Elio with a manual trans would come down to 2 things for me. Knowing the condition of the clutch and being able to replace it easily myself when needed. These 2 factors alone determine resale value and overall condition of the rest of the car for me.
I think the maintenance issue with the clutch carries to a general question of overall ease of repair for this vehicle. I would like to have some idea how much of a nightmare, or dream this is likely to be to work on, and I don't mean just changing the oil and air filter. Simpler is always easier to work on, unless everything is pre-assembled and shoehorned into the body, as is common practice, so you can't get to anything. This is a totally new design, I just hope it's not a total pain for repair.

Aviator

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Absolutely agree with carzes. The one thing wrong with cars these days is no one can work on them without ten thousand dollars in special tools for just one make and model year of car.

I nearly bought a Lotus at great price until I found an oil change required the engine be removed and so at 36K it never had one! Scrap metal now.

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have chosen manual transmission for several reasons: foremost being that it has been my experience standards last longer with fewer problems, secondly I haven't had one in decades and it sounds like fun, and I think perhaps the low HP could be better utilized. That being said, I plan on commuting 90 miles a day in my Elio & will definitely wait for more info regarding the auto trans before making a final decision. Will want to learn what I can about the technology used there. I commute during "non commute" hours, so not too worried about having to overwork the clutch.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have chosen manual transmission for several reasons: foremost being that it has been my experience standards last longer with fewer problems, secondly I haven't had one in decades and it sounds like fun, and I think perhaps the low HP could be better utilized. That being said, I plan on commuting 90 miles a day in my Elio & will definitely wait for more info regarding the auto trans before making a final decision. Will want to learn what I can about the technology used there. I commute during "non commute" hours, so not too worried about having to overwork the clutch.
Seems I'm at least not the only one with miles to commute every day. I've got a 110 mile round trip and, like you, don't face all that much traffic so just have to plod along for the miles, staying under the radar gun and trying not hit any deer. I don't need power windows, locks, steering, auto trans., or any other stuff like that. I just need a radio, cruise control would be nice, and for god's sake a comfortable seat, which is the one thing I'm pretty sure it won't have. Why is it the Germans can make a great car seat, i.e. volkswagon, porsche, BMW... and everyone else seems to stink at it?

JF

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Carzes and Aviator. I too elect to have a manual transmission, and am concerned about maintenance. The body(fuselage) of this vehicle is very narrow and similar to that of an aircraft. I hope the 3 cylinder engine allows enough working space to at least change the spark plugs, belts, and oil filter. Hopefully a removable cowling.... to easily access all parts of the engine compartment. I get a greater sense of security knowing that I can do most of the routine repairs myself..

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seems I'm at least not the only one with miles to commute every day. I've got a 110 mile round trip and, like you, don't face all that much traffic so just have to plod along for the miles, staying under the radar gun and trying not hit any deer. I don't need power windows, locks, steering, auto trans., or any other stuff like that. I just need a radio, cruise control would be nice, and for god's sake a comfortable seat, which is the one thing I'm pretty sure it won't have. Why is it the Germans can make a great car seat, i.e. volkswagon, porsche, BMW... and everyone else seems to stink at it?
Yes, I too will definitely want cruise control. No speeding tickets (fingers crossed) for almost 30 years now, and I credit my extensive use of cruise control - too easy to lead foot it through the long, straight sections without realizing it. And yes, PLEASE to the comfortable seat - we can only hope.

Last edited:

UCF'73

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Simple Poll... I didn't include CVTs - consider that choice as an automatic.
Do we know yet how many gears the automatic will have? I had the first Mazda 5 edition. It had a 4 speed automatic and it never felt like it was in a high enough gear on the highway. The next year, they changed to 5-speed automatic, which also improved the highway mileage.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do we know yet how many gears the automatic will have? I had the first Mazda 5 edition. It had a 4 speed automatic and it never felt like it was in a high enough gear on the highway. The next year, they changed to 5-speed automatic, which also improved the highway mileage.
I haven't heard any information on the transmission that IAV is working on yet.

Top Bottom