• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Poll ---- Your interest in an electric Elio ?

Are you likely to be in the market for such a vehicle ?

• YES

Votes: 39 45.9%
  • NO

Votes: 46 54.1%

• Total voters

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes I’m driving 150 miles a day with only 6-7 hours that could be used for charging. Also I only have one available 15 amp 120v circuit in my garage currently and my breaker panel is already full. I don’t have a 9-5 job.
But an electrician can put on a sub-panel and wire it (piece of cake, I have a buddy that is an electrician) or if you have an electric clothes dryer, you can use that outlet

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But an electrician can put on a sub-panel and wire it (piece of cake, I have a buddy that is an electrician) or if you have an electric clothes dryer, you can use that outlet
I initially charged from a 120v outlet providing 3 miles of charge per hour and drove less than 30 miles per day. If I needed a full charge for a scheduled long trip, I fast charged at a Tesla supercharger down the street. My current 240v outlet charges at 22 miles per hour…..75 kW battery/326 mile range. The issue with the three wheeler EV’s like the FUV, Solo, and likely the virtual EVElio is their 100 mile range battery, along with driving conditions and highway speeds that drop that range to 50 miles or less.They are the ideal city commuter, as a supplement to the long range family car.

Velhartice

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, you are certainly correct. I would need a new service from the street, a new meter, two new panels, new wiring between the main and sub panels, and a receptacle and its wiring. Dryer is upstairs and is only 3 wire, so it isn’t useable. That is all extra cost on top of the 30% premium for the car, who’s paying for all of that? No savings there.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, you are certainly correct. I would need a new service from the street, a new meter, two new panels, new wiring between the main and sub panels, and a receptacle and its wiring.
I faced a similar dilemma when my old "tank" hot water heater went up. I wanted to go to a tankless (instant-hot) system, but only had so many amps on the main panel (my home was built in 1979). After discussing the matter with an electrician, I made the decision to disconnect my electric clothes dryer and not have one. My girlfriend and I hang dry our clothes on a clothes line, now.
The rest of the breakers run essential items HVAC system & Stove/Oven.
Older homes just don't have the electrical service to handle the demand of today's power hungry lifestyle.
There is no way I could charge an electric car on a 220V circuit without spending thousands and thousands of dollars to have new service from the street installed. This is not a DIY project that I could handle myself.
*** As a side note *** Both my girlfriend & I LOVE the tankless (instant-hot) hot water heater. She very much enjoys taking long hot showers and I don't have to wait for the system to "recover" like on my old tank hot water heater. It was worth disconnecting the dryer and living without it.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, you are certainly correct. I would need a new service from the street, a new meter, two new panels, new wiring between the main and sub panels, and a receptacle and its wiring. Dryer is upstairs and is only 3 wire, so it isn’t useable. That is all extra cost on top of the 30% premium for the car, who’s paying for all of that? No savings there.
Obviously you are not wired to be an EV owner, want, or need electrical updates. If I was driving 150 miles per day, my EV would save me $20.75 per day (more when gas was $5/gal.) plus the added cost of routine maintenance and repairs…….providing my math is accurate.

My former I.C.E. Vehicle: 20 mpg/8 gal $3.50 = $28.00 or my current EV: 35 kWh @ $0.15 = $7.25 a savings $20.75 per day. The only service/maintenance cost on the EV over the past 2 1/2 yeas was a scheduled mobile service $60 tire rotation In my driveway. I was skeptical, but I’ve had a surprisingly good experience with EV ownership. I’ve owned 13 cars over the past 60 years of driving and the EV is by far my favorite In terms of performance, handling, driver comfort, and just plain fun to drive.

Based on my FUV three wheeler test drive, the EVElio or better yet the BEX, would also be a blast to drive. There was no ICElio screaming around the test track and there is no sign of an EVElio build, Elio Marketing, only.

Last edited:

Velhartice

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously you are not wired to be an EV owner, want, or need electrical updates. If I was driving 150 miles per day, my EV would save me $20.75 per day (more when gas was $5/gal.) plus the added cost of routine maintenance and repairs…….providing my math is accurate.

My former I.C.E. Vehicle: 20 mpg/8 gal $3.50 = $28.00 or my current EV: 35 kWh @ $0.15 = $7.25 a savings $20.75 per day. The only service/maintenance cost on the EV over the past 2 1/2 yeas was a scheduled mobile service $60 tire rotation In my driveway. I was skeptical, but I’ve had a surprisingly good experience with EV ownership. I’ve owned 13 cars over the past 60 years of driving and the EV is by far my favorite In terms of performance, handling, driver comfort, and just plain fun to drive.

Based on my FUV three wheeler test drive, the EVElio or better yet the BEX, would also be a blast to drive. There was no ICElio screaming around the test track and there is no sign of an EVElio build, Elio Marketing, only.
I have no problem with the concept of BEVs. I’m just a realist who has dug deep and not afraid to question popular ideas. In fact I constantly keep an eye out for a good deal on a current generation LEAF SL plus for example, I would really like one. The range is a bit smaller than I like, but it otherwise would be perfect for me.

The problem is it just doesn’t make financial sense to this day because two fundamental issues that can’t be ignored:

- Current battery technology
- The corporate culture of product lockdown (the LEAF seems less affected by this at the moment, Tesla is the most affected)

I’d be happy to flesh this out, but but it will be long winded. The TLDR in the end I would argue is the total cost of ownership for BEVs is higher largely because of the state of battery technology today and into the foreseeable future. Nothing to this day be it BEV, ICE, hybrid or otherwise has come close to touching the TCO of my 2006 Ford Taurus, nothing save for a BEX hopefully.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have no problem with the concept of BEVs. I’m just a realist who has dug deep and not afraid to question popular ideas. In fact I constantly keep an eye out for a good deal on a current generation LEAF SL plus for example, I would really like one. The range is a bit smaller than I like, but it otherwise would be perfect for me.

The problem is it just doesn’t make financial sense to this day because two fundamental issues that can’t be ignored:

- Current battery technology
- The corporate culture of product lockdown (the LEAF seems less affected by this at the moment, Tesla is the most affected)

I’d be happy to flesh this out, but but it will be long winded. The TLDR in the end I would argue is the total cost of ownership for BEVs is higher largely because of the state of battery technology today and into the foreseeable future. Nothing to this day be it BEV, ICE, hybrid or otherwise has come close to touching the TCO of my 2006 Ford Taurus, nothing save for a BEX hopefully.
I’m not much for debate or argument, with my “Drive what you like, Like what you drive” philosophy, :) I did wait, but If I was still waiting on technology, an EVElio (never happen) full doors on the Arcimoto FUV (in production, but only 1/2 doors available), or a BEX ICE or Electric (Years to Production) I’d be dead before if or when it happens. This 75 year old is enjoying current technology that simply meets my immediate PERSONAL wants, needs, and budget.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I might still take a Elio either way... But, we have gotten a Tesla Model Y and I have ordered the Cybertruck... We save quite a bit of money with the Model Y and it does and goes everywhere we want. I wouldn't mind having a small vehicle like the Elio but my need for it is not the same as it was back when I had a long commute and Tesla wasn't making so many cars...

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I might still take a Elio either way... But, we have gotten a Tesla Model Y and I have ordered the Cybertruck... We save quite a bit of money with the Model Y and it does and goes everywhere we want. I wouldn't mind having a small vehicle like the Elio but my need for it is not the same as it was back when I had a long commute and Tesla wasn't making so many cars...
…….and the early 2021 MYs were a little more affordable. I could sell mine for slightly more than I paid for it. The Arcimoto (in production), Nobe, or an Elio would be a fun supplement for around town commutes.

Reactions: Ty

Velhartice

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not much for debate or argument, with my “Drive what you like, Like what you drive” philosophy, :) I did wait, but If I was still waiting on technology, an EVElio (never happen) full doors on the Arcimoto FUV (in production, but only 1/2 doors available), or a BEX ICE or Electric (Years to Production) I’d be dead before if or when it happens. This 75 year old is enjoying current technology that simply meets my immediate PERSONAL wants, needs, and budget.
I agree with your sentiments here entirely. If only more people would adopt this mantra themselves, especially the govt. As I think you miss that this is being thrust upon us over the next decade or so based upon questionable claims of saving money and environmental impacts. I have done the research, and for people like me with limited but stable resources, there is not any cost benefit at this time. Maybe they would let the free market decide instead of misguided legal mandate, but thats a pipe dream.

I think its foolish to casually throw away such a mature and stable technology en masse that has served to democratize personal transportation (and continues to) for all over the last 100+ years for one that has limited improvements, a laundry list of caveats, and dubious scalability.

Top Bottom