• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Orange Balls?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay, THIS is going to sound nutty to some people, and as my "first official post" on this forum, it's going to be waaaay off topic. 'General Discussion' seemed like the right catagory....Okay, has anyone observed bright orange balls flying around? o_O I (and many witnesses with me) have about 7 times in the last 5 years.

1st time: Around mid November 2009, I got home from working a 12, and my wife was watching our grandson who was only a couple of months old. I step out the back onto the patio (back of my house points dead south) to burn a cigarette and have a Budlight and immediately notice a bright, and I mean like 5x Venus bright, orange light about 20 deg above the horizon, south southwest. I've been in aviation since I was 18, and 100% of that military jets. I know FAA rules and regs., and ORANGE is NOT a color allowed on anything flying, anywhere on the planet. It wasn't moving at all, and seemed pretty steady in it's intensity. I watched it for a full 10 minutes, went in the house and told the wife to "check this sh*t out!". Grabbed another cig, and we both watched it for another 5 - 10 minutes. It all the sudden started blinking, and fading in and out for around 15 seconds, then, poof, it was gone. We look at each other, and she was expecting me to tell her what it was....I had no idea.

2nd time: Around 2 years later on the 4th of July we (wife and I, our kids (in their 20's) and their friends) were walking to the city park a couple of blocks away to watch the fireworks display. It was dusk, not dark yet, and as we came out of the alley towards the park, the orange ball, identical in color to the one I had witnessed a couple of years ago, was head towards us from the southwest. I yelled at everyone, "Look! It's that orange ball thing!", and all of us watched travel towards us, disappear, and then show up again a half second later heading dead east...VERY bizaar!. Oh...and not a sound.

3rd and 4th time happened on one night, again sitting on our patio with some friends having a couple of beers about a year or so later. My buddy, Charlie, is facing the house, looking north. He gets a wierd look on his face and says, "What the h*ll is that!?". I stood up and turned around to see ANOTHER of these orange balls (and what's freaky, is they're not glarey like stars or planets) heading east to west. All of us observed it or about 20 -25 seconds until we lost it due to the trees. Charlie called his cousin Jim, who lives southwest-ish of us about 10 miles down I-44, and told to to step outside and look up....Jim also saw the "whatever it is". We were still standing around 45 minutes later scanning the sky, when 4 of them in a row came by, going the same direction as the first one, and at the same speed. As they passed, the third one back started blinking, and disappeared just like the first one I ever saw. Here's the freaky thing folks. You can hear a jetliner at 30k feet, it won't be in the direction you're hearing the sound coming from because obviously, light is faster than sound.....these things made ABSOLUTELY no sound at all.

And the last three times were earlier this summer. Twice more with our friends Charlie and his wife Georgia at their house, and once when my cousin from Dallas and her husband came up to visit. Tony, my cousin's husband, was truly freaked out, and spent every night they were here (3) staring up at the sky with a pair of binoculars in hand.

Okay, don't give me the "Chinese lanterns" explanation. We tried that theory....they didn't even come close to the movement or color. So......?

[crickets chirpping...:rolleyes:]

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Over the years, I've spent a lot if time under the night sky on the Mississippi, the Ohio and the Illinois rivers, and I've never seen anything even remotely similar to what you describe. Not discounting what you and yours have seen by any means, just saying that I've been left out of the loop on things like this...

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll have to look up the reference, but there was a Physics Professor at Southeast Missouri State that did a study on them back in the '70s. Him and some students camped out for like 6 weeks or something and wrote down their observations, which I believe happened nightly. He referred to them as "plasma". Never heard of plasma making a 90 deg turn...but then again, I'm not a physicist.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
NUFORC.org:cool:

Made me look :rolleyes:, found this interesting as it was the same night we were at our friends house for his wife's birthday, and it was heading towards St. Peters, MO (about 25 miles north of us). Lots of "orange balls" reported in July...strange.

"St. Peters MO Circle 3 minutes Orange glowing object, moves towards me, light goes out I clearly see something circular above me."

I'm starting to sound like a lunatic now. o_O

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
folks who watch History's H2 Channel will know that it features related stories several times a week .... personally, I've never seen anything like that described in the opening post but I've seen too many reports on things I don't understand and for which there is no reasonable explanation to discount anything

Jim

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Made me look :rolleyes:, found this interesting as it was the same night we were at our friends house for his wife's birthday, and it was heading towards St. Peters, MO (about 25 miles north of us). Lots of "orange balls" reported in July...strange.

"St. Peters MO Circle 3 minutes Orange glowing object, moves towards me, light goes out I clearly see something circular above me."

I'm starting to sound like a lunatic now. o_O

I too have been in aviation since the age of 18 and have seen a few things while flying and out in the woods.:eek:

The first was this strange black thing dropping strips of aluminum foil in the mountains above Yuba City, CA in 1964 while logging with my Father. I told him to look up at this big black "object" descending from the sky and he told me to quit looking at things in the air and get back to work. Years later I found out it was the SR-71 landing at Beal AFB but at that time it was secret.;)

The most bizarre was while deer hunting in the Sierra Nevada Mts. above Shaver Lake. Three "objects" flew overhead at about tree top level and absolutely no sound at all. I spoke with the FAA when I got home and they suggested a new machine being tested from Nellis, yea right.:rolleyes:

Ok, we are both members of the Goochbin Looney Society.:D:p

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No H2, but I did find the Wikipedia on the Professor I'd heard about. Piedmont, MO is south of us. LOTS of great camping areas down there.

"Challenged to explain sightings of unidentified lights and luminous phenomena in the sky around Piedmont, Missouri, Dr. Harley Rutledge decided to subject these reports to scientific analysis. He put together a team of observers with college training in the physical sciences, including a large array of equipment: RF spectrum analyzers, Questar telescopes, low-high frequency audio detectors, electromagnetic frequency analyzer, cameras, and a galvanometer to measure variations in the Earth's gravitational field.
The resulting Project Identification commenced in April 1973, logging several hundred hours of observation time. This was the first UFO scientific field study, able to monitor the phenomena in real-time, enabling Rutledge to calculate the objects' actual velocity, course, position, distance, and size.
Observation of the unclouded night sky often revealed "pseudostars" - stationary lights camouflaged by familiar constellations. Some objects appeared to mimic the appearance of known aircraft; others violated the laws of physics. The most startling discovery was that on at least 32 recorded occasions, the movement of the lights synchronized with actions of the observers. They appeared to respond to a light being switched on and off, and to verbal or radio messages. The final results of this project were documented in the 1981 book, Project Identification: The first Scientific Study of UFO Phenomena.
Harley Rutledge, 80, former chairman of the physics department at Southeast Missouri State University, died on Monday, June 5, 2006 at the Missouri Veterans Home.[1]"

Top Bottom