• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Looks Like We Did Get Laws Changed In Kansas

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Shame on you, Jeff! JEBar needs to post a spanking emoticon LOL (or Eddie66)

punishment-slap-smiley-emoticon.gif

Jim

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Ok gang, here we go...

Back in May, I emailed my state representative, first name Travis, started a conversation about the Elio, and how I was unable to determine if KS laws would require a driver to wear a helmet and if a normal driver's license would be good enough. As far as I could tell, based on my research, KS considers the Elio to be a motorcycle.

After an email conversation with the KS DMV, I got back to Travis and asked if he'd be willing to submit a bill for KS, to take care of the needful: exempt the Elio from helmet and from motorcycle license. Maybe even create an autocycle classification where the Elio would fit in that class. (For those that don't know yet, the AAMVA organization recommends that states and even Feds adopt an autocycle class). He said session starts in January 2015. I didn't realize there was an election too, he'd have to get re-elected. Well, election has happened, and he did get re-elected, so he's still in office. I was very helpful back in the summer, giving links to press releases of other states that have changed, example bill wording from West Virginia's bill, Elio's website.

I get an email from Travis yesterday, with a bill draft attached. I look through the email conversation from bottom to top, there's my emails to start, and there's Travis asking a person to draft a bill. The guy says no problem, can I check with the KS DMV to verify wording as I write it, etc. Then on Dec. 3, the guy says "... Attached is a draft bill adding the definition of “autocycle” and exempting these vehicles from the motorcycle licensing and helmet requirements (autocycles will only require a class C license)." For Kansas, class C is the normal driver's license.

At the top of the email, Travis asks me to "let him know what you guys think". Awesome, is what I think!

I've attached the bill draft, feel free to read and give feedback. Roughly pages 2 thru 8, are just the listing of the various classes of vehicles, those pages can be skipped if desired. Look for the blue text.

I noticed the wording should allow vehicles like the Polaris Slingshot to slide into the autocycles class: "... "Autocycle" means a three-wheel motorcycle that has a steering wheel and seating that does not require the operator to straddle or sit astride it."

If I understand the wording correctly, we get all that we are hoping for: no helmet needed, no motorcycle license needed, yet the Elio gets registered as a motorcycle.

I plan to respond to Travis on Friday Dec. 5. Excited here!

Attachments

• bdr_2015rs0057.pdf
    86.6 KB · Views: 333

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok gang, here we go...

Back in May, I emailed my state representative, first name Travis, started a conversation about the Elio, and how I was unable to determine if KS laws would require a driver to wear a helmet and if a normal driver's license would be good enough. As far as I could tell, based on my research, KS considers the Elio to be a motorcycle.

After an email conversation with the KS DMV, I got back to Travis and asked if he'd be willing to submit a bill for KS, to take care of the needful: exempt the Elio from helmet and from motorcycle license. Maybe even create an autocycle classification where the Elio would fit in that class. (For those that don't know yet, the AAMVA organization recommends that states and even Feds adopt an autocycle class). He said session starts in January 2015. I didn't realize there was an election too, he'd have to get re-elected. Well, election has happened, and he did get re-elected, so he's still in office. I was very helpful back in the summer, giving links to press releases of other states that have changed, example bill wording from West Virginia's bill, Elio's website.

I get an email from Travis yesterday, with a bill draft attached. I look through the email conversation from bottom to top, there's my emails to start, and there's Travis asking a person to draft a bill. The guy says no problem, can I check with the KS DMV to verify wording as I write it, etc. Then on Dec. 3, the guy says "... Attached is a draft bill adding the definition of “autocycle” and exempting these vehicles from the motorcycle licensing and helmet requirements (autocycles will only require a class C license)." For Kansas, class C is the normal driver's license.

At the top of the email, Travis asks me to "let him know what you guys think". Awesome, is what I think!

I've attached the bill draft, feel free to read and give feedback. Roughly pages 2 thru 8, are just the listing of the various classes of vehicles, those pages can be skipped if desired. Look for the blue text.

I noticed the wording should allow vehicles like the Polaris Slingshot to slide into the autocycles class: "... "Autocycle" means a three-wheel motorcycle that has a steering wheel and seating that does not require the operator to straddle or sit astride it."

If I understand the wording correctly, we get all that we are hoping for: no helmet needed, no motorcycle license needed, yet the Elio gets registered as a motorcycle.

I plan to respond to Travis on Friday Dec. 5. Excited here!

Great work Jeff.

Top Bottom