• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Infinite Skyz Skyzmatic System

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree this is getting difficult.
My purpose for this vehicle is a low cost, high mileage commuter. Tacking on a $2000 'nice to have', is not on option. At least when I first saw and heard about it. The more I see it, it sure sounds pretty cool! Remote start, cameras, nav.

Still, based upon the original purpose (and the one in which I was able to convince my wife), I will most likely pass.

(sigh)

my first reaction was pretty much the same and over time mirrors the evolution you mention .... to me, a couple of factors that usually are considered when I'm looking for a vehicles how long I plan to keep it and how I plan to use it .... my hope is the Elio will be sufficiently well designed and built to where we won't buy buy one so with it being a vehicle I plan to keep, it makes more sense to get it equipped accordingly .... I wouldn't even consider spending money somewhere around $2,000 more if I only planned to keep/use it for a short while .... the fact that the Skyz system is reported to be designed to where it can be updated over time is attractive to me .... with no rear window, a rear view camera is a feature I plan to install anyway so saving the cost of installing an individual one could help offset the cost of the Skyz system .... we haven't made a decision and won't until an options list with pricing is available .... also, we are looking forward to reading reports from folks with low reservation numbers

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree this is getting difficult.
My purpose for this vehicle is a low cost, high mileage commuter. Tacking on a $2000 'nice to have', is not on option. At least when I first saw and heard about it. The more I see it, it sure sounds pretty cool! Remote start, cameras, nav.

Still, based upon the original purpose (and the one in which I was able to convince my wife), I will most likely pass.

(sigh)
I can see fleet, government, rental car will like to have the Skyz system, but for me I think I rather have the cruise control, Bluetooth, and roof top. Of course everyone have they want.
imagesYJN0XMFN.jpg

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, I'm done with the Elgin dash - it's cheap looking and I don't read moving numbers well - so what are my options? The SkyzMatic system is far too expensive and at this point is a generation behind the state of the art, requiring too much fiddling with an auxiliary iPad while attempting to stay alive on the freeway.

Here's one option: Dakota Digital's dash, the $900 cost of which can be partially offset by selling your OEM Elgin as parts or the addition of a cruise control module for $99 that will replace the more expensive add-on from EM. It's all digital so that it can be adapted, expanded, even morphed into whatever display you want - with the addition of sensor modules. The beauty of that is that you can add these as you find you need them.

[Broken External Image]
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....ct_id=847/category_id=69/mode=prod/prd847.htm

For telematics beyond instrumentation, I've found my WP with the new 8.1 "Denim" OS to be pretty remarkable in the car. All right, it's a phone, but it also gives me voice-command access (via my virtual personal assistant "Cortana") to my internet radio sites, a fine Drive+ navigation app, even voice text and reading of incoming messages so I don't have to take my eyes off the road to look at the screen. I can dictate memos, reminders, set alarms, even search for POI's like restaurants and have reviews read to me, all by pinching the lower right corner of the screen and telling my assistant what I want to do. Incoming calls are announced and screened, I have options to save, answer or ignore calls and texts - and my hands never leave the wheel except to "wake up" my assistant. Newer versions allow you to say, "Hey, Cortana!" and she will answer - without having to give her bottom a pinch. ;)

https://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/features-8-1

It's not fully developed yet, but I expect this kind of voice command that's been used on a few Ford vehicles lately may be the way we communicate with our "assistants" in the future. Scrolling around and clicking on a small screen is just going to be too distracting, particularly in commuter traffic.

Last edited:

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I truly get the argument that it's a big percentage of the price of an inexpensive vehicle, however... In 2008, when I was shopping (unsuccessfully, at first!) for my Honda Fit, just to get the in dash navigation system amounted to close to $2500, and all it could do was navigation, and this does so much more. If it's easily hardware upgradeable, I'm even more interested, even at the price. I would like for it to replace the normal instrument cluster, rather than being an add on.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
that's the part I'm having problems coming to terms with .... we don't use "smart" phones and have little interest in yet another charge for any kind of internet service
You don't need to own a smartphone to make this work. For the sky system the ipad mini needs to have the "phone" built in. The free dial up web service day are pretty much gone. Some phones allow you to create a hotspot. Bottom line to be connected will cost you. For many of us that will not be worth the cost. For others it will be a must have. I don't have cable TV, never have. I do have an internet connection and cant imagine being without it anymore.

Top Bottom