• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

"i'm Afraid They Won't See Me." Whine, Whine.....

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Married? If so, you'll relate to this. You know how it is when the wife gets an idea in her head and no matter how you try to reason with her you couldn't blast it out with dynamite?

In my case a main reason I want an Elio is to reduce the miles she puts on her Xterra. (Just this afternoon she's driveing it 100 miles round trip to spend a couple of days with the grand kids!) My theory is, it's better to spend $8,000 now on the Elio than to spend $30,000 on a new SUV after she's worn out the Xterra. Of course this theory only works if she'll actually drive the Elio.

"People won't see me.", "they'll run over me." "they'll hit me from behind.", "They'll hit me from the side.", "they'll change lanes into me.", "they'll run over my front wheels" etc., etc..... I've heard just about everything except they'll fall on the roof.

So, here's the thing. How do I make an Elio more visible to other drivers? I don't feel the front and side views are a problem, it's the view from the rear that's the weak spot. The only things I've come up with so far is an LED light bar above the top of the hatch which comes on with the brake lights and some reflective tape on the rear end and the backs of the fenders. Tape looks bad but might help (see image). If any of you have a good idea I would love to hear it. Of course, coming up with an idea is only half the battle, next I'll have to convince the wife. :argue: Thanks much.

Elio4_08.jpg
Leave her alone man! There is no amount of convincing that the ELIO will be as safe as her "safety blanket (SUV)! She will feel so claustrophobic after being so used to her roomy SUV. I have the same problem w/ my wife but it didn't stop me from reserving 2, I figured if she can't get the hang of driving it, I'll have both all by myself! :D

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Married? If so, you'll relate to this. You know how it is when the wife gets an idea in her head and no matter how you try to reason with her you couldn't blast it out with dynamite?

In my case a main reason I want an Elio is to reduce the miles she puts on her Xterra. (Just this afternoon she's driveing it 100 miles round trip to spend a couple of days with the grand kids!) My theory is, it's better to spend $8,000 now on the Elio than to spend $30,000 on a new SUV after she's worn out the Xterra. Of course this theory only works if she'll actually drive the Elio.

"People won't see me.", "they'll run over me." "they'll hit me from behind.", "They'll hit me from the side.", "they'll change lanes into me.", "they'll run over my front wheels" etc., etc..... I've heard just about everything except they'll fall on the roof.

So, here's the thing. How do I make an Elio more visible to other drivers? I don't feel the front and side views are a problem, it's the view from the rear that's the weak spot. The only things I've come up with so far is an LED light bar above the top of the hatch which comes on with the brake lights and some reflective tape on the rear end and the backs of the fenders. Tape looks bad but might help (see image). If any of you have a good idea I would love to hear it. Of course, coming up with an idea is only half the battle, next I'll have to convince the wife. :argue: Thanks much.

Elio4_08.jpg

Best solution is not to have a wife.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
But really though, the front and rear crumple zones are the same as in any other compact car, an impact on the driver-side is the same as in any other compact car, and an impact on the starbord side is also the same as an impact on the driver side of a compact car.

The only real difference, from a safety perspective, is that the car weighs less.

But yeah, as others have said, I wouldn't force my wife to drive a car she didn't feel safe in.

IdahoDuffer

Elio Aficionado
Being lighter may be a benefit in a crash. Its seems to me that being lighter allows the car to be more easily moved in a crash. This could result in it taking less impact force because the car would begin to move away sooner then a heavier car.

I could be completely wrong on this one, but it makes sense in my simple little brain. Any science type people smarter then me wanna chime in?

Ray O

Elio Addict
If you go to motorcycle after market you can buy led lights that make it impossible not to see you and they can change colors

Mel

Elio Addict
Being lighter may be a benefit in a crash. Its seems to me that being lighter allows the car to be more easily moved in a crash. This could result in it taking less impact force because the car would begin to move away sooner then a heavier car.

Double edged sword! The "lighter" weight would also allow it to be moved into another vehicle, into the path of another vehicle, or into a pedestrian.
If there's nothing else in the way, your theory works.