• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Guns And Stuff Related.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Great idea starting him off with something with low recoil.
I tend to favor Marlin lever guns so right now I have a 1894C, a 336 in 35 Rem, and an 1895G.
The 1894 is a 38Spl/357. Nice little gun and cheap (relatively) to shoot. Weighs about 6 lb.
---> http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/1894centerfire/1894C.asp <---
In any case, good luck.

kind words appreciated .... I've been working with him for about a year .... first with BB's and now with 22LR .... he's come a long way and does really well .... below is a picture of him at our family shoot on Christmas Eve in Kentucky .... he was shooting the Ruger 10-22 we gave his father over 30 years ago ...

151223 004 Jacob Christmas Eve Shoot 001.jpg

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been wanting an 1894C to pair with a convertible Ruger Blackhawk in .357/9mm para. I've read good things about both Marlin and Henry lever guns, but how would you say they stack up against each other?

both are American made .... both have a long, rich history .... both will get the job done .... given reasonable care, both can be passed down for several generations .... Henry has truly exceptional customer support .... for me, I prefer the looks of the Henry and the way it handles

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I was a fairly young man, I owned an Iver Johnson 32-20 1889 five shot revolver.
It was fun, but there wasn't any commercially produced ammo available, so I shot .32 caliber.
The cylinder to frame gap was terrible on those and you'd get a face full of sparks on each shot.
The .32 brass would expand and pretty much had to be pried out after they were fired.
But like I said, I was young, there was almost no recoil at all, and it was fun to shoot.

I also owned two Marlin 336 lever models in .35 remington.
I traded my last one a couple of years ago because there's no ammo.
It's a shame, because it's absolutely the best brush gun I've ever met.

I had a 200-grain silver tip blow through a 6" diameter tree and continue on a perfectly straight line to a clean kill.
The tree trunk blew up in a cloud of wood dust and the tree fell almost straight down.
The kill was a nice eight point that ran 50 yards and gave it up.
I have a Remington 141 in .35 Rem, I've never had trouble finding ammo for it up here. Maybe it's just not locally popular? There'd be quite a few mad deer hunters up here if they couldn't find .35 ammo.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a Remington 141 in .35 Rem, I've never had trouble finding ammo for it up here. Maybe it's just not locally popular? There'd be quite a few mad deer hunters up here if they couldn't find .35 ammo.
It was immensly popular here. That's why there's none left. I would imagine that your area had a surplus to begin with.
If you do some online research you'll find that it's a dead caliber. My advice is to buy up as much as you can now.
Not one single commercial manufacturer has made a run of .35 Remington for at least four years now.
The major players have said they do not have any plans to produce the cartridge in the future.
Our local shops are now full of used lever and pump guns in .35 Remington.

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was immensly popular here. That's why there's none left. I would imagine that your area had a surplus to begin with.
If you do some online research you'll find that it's a dead caliber. My advice is to buy up as much as you can now.
Not one single commercial manufacturer has made a run of .35 Remington for at least four years now.
The major players have said they do not have any plans to produce the cartridge in the future.
Our local shops are now full of used lever and pump guns in .35 Remington.
You can always go the online route and pick it up at cabelas, they have leverevelution in stock, wish I lived closer to your pawn shop;)

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can always go the online route and pick it up at cabelas, they have leverevelution in stock, wish I lived closer to your pawn shop;)
Thanks Keith.
I stand pleasantly corrected!
Last year I couldn't find any on or off line except @ trader sites @ $3 ea.
Cabela's is good price for that particular cartridge! I just sent for 5 boxes.
It's too late today, but first thing tomorrow, I'm off to buy my 336 back.
I'm hoping it's still there, because it was when I stopped in a month ago.
If not, my other older one is in my father's estate and is at my brother's.
It's an anniversary model w' the commemorative medallion on the stock.
As far as the used guns, I was talking the dealers, not the pawn shops.
Even though the .35 guns are gathering dust, they're still not cheap.

Last edited:

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As Keith said, Hornady LeverEvolution .35 ammo seems pretty well available online. I have to stop at Fleet Farm (aka the Man's Mall up here) this week, I'll check their stock, even though I have 3 boxes which will likely last my lifetime and then some. I only take the 141 out once in a while for old time's sake- I usually hunt more open areas these days and my .270 is better suited for that.

Marlin still chambers the venerable 336 in .35 BTW.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As Keith said, Hornady LeverEvolution .35 ammo seems pretty well available online. I have to stop at Fleet Farm (aka the Man's Mall up here) this week, I'll check their stock, even though I have 3 boxes which will likely last my lifetime and then some. I only take the 141 out once in a while for old time's sake- I usually hunt more open areas these days and my .270 is better suited for that.

Marlin still chambers the venerable 336 in .35 BTW.
Sorry that I can't help with the reloading.
One of the very reasons that I thought we'd seen the last of the .35 Remington cartridge...
Was that Marlin pulled the 336 model in .35 Remington off of their website for a while.
It's good to know that they're confident that it has a future.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom