• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Financing Elio Motors Development And Production

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad I found this post again, since I've been wondering about an interview at the Arizona State Fair back in October 2013 I had read where Branden Carey mentioned that they actually had 25 prototypes in production at the time. Was he misquoted, or is it possible they actually have a couple dozen P4's stored around somewhere?

There is only one P4 built very late 2013 and unveiled mid-January 2014.

It is possible he misspoke, was misquoted, or his quote was taken out of context. According to the plan at the time EM was supposed to build a test fleet in fall 2013. That plan fell apart when EM encountered the delay in securing the plant which also cost EM the funding they had lined up which was supposed to pay for this testing.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Vehicle manufacturers build and test hand assembled mules and prototypes all the time so how to do this is in a way which represents the final production model as accurately as possible is well understood in the industry. I am sure IAV has plenty of experience building pre-production engines for in vehicle testing and EM's product engineering partner, Altair, will provide EM's prototype builder, Technosports, with all the specifications they need to produce E-series vehicles which meet industry standards for such vehicles.
I just wish they'd get on with it. Something's gotta give pretty soon ... the current uneasy stasis is going to unbalance one way or another.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just wish they'd get on with it. Something's gotta give pretty soon ... the current uneasy stasis is going to unbalance one way or another.

Let's take a step back and look at reality.
In Late October EM announced that the ATVM had gotten through stage 1. (implied sort of)
At that point we are dealing with the Feds.
It will take them (DOE) as long as it takes them and they don't care about the tax payers.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
DOE cares about "looking good." Since 2 very big loans went belly-up (Fisker and Solaris), they have had egg on their face for two years. They have issued no ATVM loan guarantees in that entire period, if I am correctly informed. Certainly, they're not going to issue this one until they are satisfied they won't look even dumber than they did before. Political heat would help; if the Administration started hounding them, they would probably respond quicker.

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
DOE cares about "looking good." Since 2 very big loans went belly-up (Fisker and Solaris), they have had egg on their face for two years. They have issued no loan guarantees in that entire period, if I am correctly informed. Certainly, they're not going to issue this one until they are satisfied they won't look even dumber than they did before. Political heat would help; if the Administration started hounding them, they would probably respond quicker.

I'm sure they care about not getting their funding cut. That's why we should make the effort to send letters to our Representatives and both of our Senators. Especially if they are on committees that have oversight on DOE.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The things I would be more concerned about are the welds on the frame which looking at P1 show how critical they will be in crash testing.
The partial frontal will probably just sheer off the suspension on that side. The full side impact should be very interesting. Full frontal and rear will also be interesting. Also do they do both left and right side crash, thinking about only left side door?
Again, just some thoughts since the frame (cage) welds will be so critical.

Can't get rid of my F150 or my Jeep 'cause ranch work, but it will be real nice to have something more economical for some of my runs into town for groceries or just visiting local friends.
That partial frontal might just be Elio's best test... Think about a regular car and how it plows it's mass forward... Now think about the Elio... As that suspension collapses, the whole 1,200 pound car will be pushed to the side a little and the sled (or testing blank or block) will just slide down the side of the Elio... maybe?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
DOE cares about "looking good." Since 2 very big loans went belly-up (Fisker and Solaris), they have had egg on their face for two years. They have issued no ATVM loan guarantees in that entire period, if I am correctly informed. Certainly, they're not going to issue this one until they are satisfied they won't look even dumber than they did before. Political heat would help; if the Administration started hounding them, they would probably respond quicker.
Remember though - the ATVM called Elio and asked them to apply... It seems they've mostly made their minds up to authorize the loan.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure they care about not getting their funding cut. That's why we should make the effort to send letters to our Representatives and both of our Senators. Especially if they are on committees that have oversight on DOE.
Did that last summer. Maybe it's time to write them again. Even if the car can't be legally sold in my state.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's take a step back and look at reality.
In Late October EM announced that the ATVM had gotten through stage 1. (implied sort of)
At that point we are dealing with the Feds.
It will take them (DOE) as long as it takes them and they don't care about the tax payers.
Sure the DOE cares. Why would you think that? They are DOE employees not politicians and frankly many politicians care. They are being cautious in managing our venture taxpayer dollars which is why the DOE Loan Program has been a money maker for us taxpayers. Go DOE!

Top Bottom