• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engine Break-in

Ty

Elio Addict
Read the wizard's link!

I am now convinced this guy (Motoman) knows what he is talking about. 180° turnaround for me.
Not me... it takes very little pressure to put the rings against the bore. If there was any gap, the engine would blow oil. They don't. The rings are firmly against the cylinder walls... at all times.

DigitalDan

Elio Enthusiast
Give it a few minutes of "foreplay", and then drive it like you stole it. Replace the oil and filter after the first 500 miles, and replace with synthetic.

That's my usual break-in routine, and it's worked very well over the years.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
R100RT- do ya mean 1k, had as my last beemer RS1000, best airhead ever! everything after has been crap, and most of all that one in the Bond movie!

jdkeats

Elio Addict
But I agree that "mollycoddling" an engine is not the best way to run it in, and I agree with the reasons given above.
My son owned a BMW 323 with the glorious straight six cylinder engine. It had just one previous owner, who was a retired doctor who had treated it with kid gloves. It burned almost as much oil as it did "gas" (petrol) and I suspect it had never been run in properly - treated too gently (as one had to do in the old days).

Something I have observed over the years,
Doctors are usually busy people and do not let themselves be bothered by the mundane details like oil changes.
Some of the worst mechanically cars I have seen are owned and driven by Dr's.
They will just buy another one if it breaks attitude.
We sometimes equate resources with well kept and that is not always true.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Give it a few minutes of "foreplay", and then drive it like you stole it. Replace the oil and filter after the first 500 miles, and replace with synthetic.

That's my usual break-in routine, and it's worked very well over the years.
DigitalDan, welcome from sunny New Mexico. Enjoy this journey with us.