• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Reservation Map And Survey

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Someplace I read about a 15 year old girl, born in 1900, getting a Rolls-Royce for her birthday. She lived on the Isle of Man off the coast of England and the car never left the island. Every few years she would have a Rolls mechanic from the factory over to fix what needed fixed. After the second World War, she had an electric starter installed so she didn't have to crank it. When she died in the 1990's, the car had over a million miles on it and sold at her estate auction for quite a bit of money. Moral: it pays to buy a good car and keep it maintained! Anyone recall this story?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Someplace I read about a 15 year old girl, born in 1900, getting a Rolls-Royce for her birthday. She lived on the Isle of Man off the coast of England and the car never left the island. Every few years she would have a Rolls mechanic from the factory over to fix what needed fixed. After the second World War, she had an electric starter installed so she didn't have to crank it. When she died in the 1990's, the car had over a million miles on it and sold at her estate auction for quite a bit of money. Moral: it pays to buy a good car and keep it maintained! Anyone recall this story?
I'm not familiar with the story but would love to hear more about it. :-) Z

UCF'73

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi brothers&sisters,
I stopped @ my local PepBoys and inquired as to whether or not they were aware of the contract arrangements for Elio warranty work. Unfortunately I missed the service manager so the sales-persons commented with 'ELIO-WHO'. Time will tell. In my retirement(when not fishing) I operate a flat-bed tow truck for a good friend's tow corp so in my travels I experience a few questions on the towing of ie; motorcycles & such. The Elio will be easy enough to hook from the front but was curious regarded the rear. Maybe the option of a trailer hitch or simple straps on the Elio will suffice in the ugly event that it requires a tow. Any thoughts ?!
I went by the local Pep Boys in Columbia SC wearing my T-shirt. They told me to bring my Elio into the bay so they could look at it. Ha, ha. Both service counter guys were familiar with the car and one said his wife was bugging him to reserve one. They said that management had not yet given them any directions and all he knew was what he got from the web. The head guy said that at some point he or staff would have to get some training. Since it is still at least a year away, all agreed that it isn't surprising that no one seems to be doing anything at this point.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi brothers&sisters,. . . I experience a few questions on the towing of ie; motorcycles & such. The Elio will be easy enough to hook from the front but was curious regarded the rear. Maybe the option of a trailer hitch or simple straps on the Elio will suffice in the ugly event that it requires a tow. Any thoughts ?!

The Elio should be about the same as towing any front-wheel drive car. The automatic would require a dolly as would your sedan when towing at the front-end. But at the rear, this will be easier than most sedans if you have the right accessory. Basically, the promised hitch receptacle may be useable in an inverse way. A trailer side of a trailer hitch (the cup side not the ball side) could be built to use with the Elio hitch receptacle. In this case, just like a 4wheel sedan, you would tie-down the steering wheel inside to keep it straight and toe the Elio backwards. You could only do that with the Manual tranny, but the accessory could even be stored inside the Elio.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The Elio should be about the same as towing any front-wheel drive car. The automatic would require a dolly as would your sedan when towing at the front-end. But at the rear, this will be easier than most sedans if you have the right accessory. Basically, the promised hitch receptacle may be useable in an inverse way. A trailer side of a trailer hitch (the cup side not the ball side) could be built to use with the Elio hitch receptacle. In this case, just like a 4wheel sedan, you would tie-down the steering wheel inside to keep it straight and toe the Elio backwards. You could only do that with the Manual tranny, but the accessory could even be stored inside the Elio.

I have wondered if the use of an AMT for the automatic transmission option will allow for easy towing no matter which transmission you have installed. As an AMT is simply a manual transmission with actuators installed to shift and operate the clutch theoretically an AMT in neutral operates the same as a manual transmission in neutral.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have wondered if the use of an AMT for the automatic transmission option will allow for easy towing no matter which transmission you have installed. As an AMT is simply a manual transmission with actuators installed to shift and operate the clutch theoretically an AMT in neutral operates the same as a manual transmission in neutral.

I am not familiar with the AMT. Is it common in any production automobile? Which one (name a few)?

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score

amwinkle

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
From earlier comments, the S.M.A.R.T. has abrupt hard shifts, but other vehicles with AMTs don't have that problem, so it's unknown for the Elio.
If i am not mistaken VW (or at least my 2010 cc) had a DSG which is similar to the AMT right?
Plus its shifting was flawless (almost didnt know it existed)

I also know hands down that it got significantly better mileage than my sister-in-laws manual cc

Top Bottom