• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio & Motorcycle License

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
II find that somewhat confusing. First they describe the equivalent of an Elio and then they say the subsection describing it is repealed 90 days after the adjournment of the First Regular Session of the 126th Legislature. Am I understanding this correctly? Do you have any idea what they are actually saying here? :) Z
Not sure how it is in Maine but generally the "repeal clause" referees to what will happen in the event the bill is not signed into law by the governor.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
II find that somewhat confusing. First they describe the equivalent of an Elio and then they say the subsection describing it is repealed 90 days after the adjournment of the First Regular Session of the 126th Legislature. Am I understanding this correctly? Do you have any idea what they are actually saying here? :) Z

Maine repealed the category of "autocycle". I am seeking clarification of the reason(s) from a friend in the Maine Legislature, and from Maine DMV. Based on that I will know whether proposing a bill for reintroduction could be successful.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi John, while most of us are speaking in your best interest and are very much trying to help, you really need to talk to your state's DMV. We can talk about how it is in our state, but Maine's DMV and laws are what you need to understand and follow. I'm learning that every state is unique... there's registering the Elio, there's getting a license so you can legally drive the Elio, there's helmet laws, etc.

One thing that seems to be universal and fairly clear: you can drive the Elio without a helmet, if you're 21 or older, in all states except MO, NE, WV, NC and MS. Hopefully laws will change in the future, but that's the way it is now.

Anyway, the best thing for you, is to check with Maine's laws and the DMV. :) Then you can be the expert, and if someone asks about Maine, you will be the go-to person.

Yes. Currently the law in Maine categorizes the Elio as a motorcycle, similar to the Can Am Spyder. The question I have to DMV is why the statute was changed, and whether people can take their MC road test using the Elio like people using a Spyder. Regarding the helmet issue, helmets are required in Maine for people who only have their MC learners permit, also significant they can not have a passenger until they get their full license aka endorsement.

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes. Currently the law in Maine categorizes the Elio as a motorcycle, similar to the Can Am Spyder. The question I have to DMV is why the statute was changed, and whether people can take their MC road test using the Elio like people using a Spyder. Regarding the helmet issue, helmets are required in Maine for people who only have their MC learners permit, also significant they can not have a passenger until they get their full license aka endorsement.
This document should help you in providing information to anyone you contact. http://www.aamva.org/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=4629&libID=4606
:-) Z

archer5013

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
My response from Maine BMV's Tricia Grona regarding the (expired, or "sunsetted") Maine Autocycle registration:

April 4, 2014
Thank you for your e-mail regarding the auto cycle. The auto-cycle classification has been phased out and is no longer valid. Our website is being updated now. This vehicle will be considered a motorcycle. You will need a motorcycle endorsement on your Maine driver's license, it will receive a motorcycle plate and it will be subject to motorcycle inspection laws.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Sincerely,
Tricia Grona
Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Secretary to the Director, Vehicle Services
101 Hospital Street
29 State House Station
Augusta ME 04333
Phone: 207.624.9083
FAX: (207) 624-9204
Tricia.grona@maine.gov

archer5013

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

The Maine Autocycle classification was allowed to expire. Currently the Elio autocycle WILL require a motorcycle registration and license or license endorsement. The Elio will not be useable for the road test.

If this is not changed I will be unable to operate the Elio in Maine. I have no means to even travel (8 times) to a motorcycle training school, plus a written test and the road test for a vehicle which - except by definition: 'under 4 wheels' - has nothing whatsoever to do with a motorcycle either in function or in operation.

Frankly I would consider it dangerous for me to operate a motorcycle. I have arthritic related disabilities - it could be irresponsible and reckless for me to do so.

Aging and disabilities suck - having no transportation at all (except a subsidized, one day per week bus) - I will move away from Maine - in order to be able to have this vehicle (perhaps my last vehicle).

Last edited:

archer5013

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Truett Collins wrote: "Depends on the state."

I responded to a question posted by a Maine resident (john Painter) - about the regulations in MAINE.

harlan stephens

Elio Addict
Reaction score
getting a motorcycle endorsedment is not all that bad. Done it in 3 states so far...lol
I rode from the age of 5.
And still do..the basic saftey class I think is great. Gets money off insurance and this old dog learned new tricks.
Its never a bad thing to reinforce defensive driving tactics and I take them as well...and not becuse I have too...lol I dont drink.
The elio is smaller than a full size car. And like any smaller car harder for others to see.
Some classes can be found that rent bikes for there classes
With some of the better classes you do not need to even do the driver test at dmv.
And its kinda fun...lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom