• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If they do the dash instrumentation via bluetooth outputs from the onboard data bus, they can do a dash where YOU choose what to display for a cost of about 5.00 plus the blank panel. See the various apps that read and display data on your cellphone for examples of how this can be done -- Torque, for instance, on the Android platform. Maybe you could use the app to configure your dash from a series of templates; app tells car "display template 1" which shows analogue instruments for tach, speedo, oil pressure, mpg, and clock (just for instance) in red against a black background Template 2 could be the same info white on black, etc. All the templates would have key information, but, heck, for those who like idiot lights, one of the templates could display those instead of instruments!

I have no idea how expensive it would be to go this route, but my instinct tells me you could do the whole thing -- 7" screen, blue tooth connector, and phone app for under $40 - $50 each ... maybe a lot less in the quantities Elio will be ordering. What do y'all think?
Good thinking. This idea has been mentioned in this thread several times and I would not be surprised to see something along these lines as one of the options.

Stugotz

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way too much 'Wasted Space' on the Elgin/'SB' Display; with the blank 'outer circles' and the small 'idiot lights'. Just not good use of the Dash Space, not good for 'information at-a-glance, and requires extra TIME and MONEY to design and manufacture a non-off-the-shelf component! Only area in 'green' conveys important information...... area in 'yellow' is WASTED.View attachment 1066

I like analog or digital. The Elgin dash doesn't let you see your fuel economy which is one of the core selling points of the vehicle! The Honda Insight digital dash below shows MPH nice and clear (I really like this feature), average MPG 58.1, miles traveled since last fill up 80.1miles ago ( I frequently see 575-600 miles on mine. Below those two numbers there is a fuel efficiency scale that shows you what you are doing real time as you accelerate, coast, brake, etc. I am always looking at these numbers to maximize efficiency, believe me it is addicting and really helps to adjust your driving style if desired.

Or you can just flog the s... out of it and watch it hit redline with the tach on the left.

[Broken External Image]

Looks like the layout would fit in the same space.

upload_2014-4-27_21-0-22-jpeg.731.jpg

Stugotz

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
just to muck it up a bit, I think "I'll pay, I'll pay" to have the elgin dash. I like that it is different and I really believe that all the griping about it being unsafe is a bit overrated.

I'm all in either way, I think your right though, I don't see it as unsafe. I haven't had a choice of dashes on any other vehicle I have purchased from the factory but I would prefer to see something more current. I personally liked the previous mule dash better. My 23-25yr old children have Iphones and tech gadgets that appeal to them, a gauge pod with 3/4 of the space void of usable information seems like a lost opportunity. I would like to see Elio reach out to the younger crowd with a flat screen dash with the "Elio App" for their smart phone. You pick your dash or change if desired, The screens are cheap and easily replaceable, I would be curious to see if their was a cost, weight, improvement to the car. Might also improve the .26 CDA ;)

MajorXx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I agree that the Elgin Dash is hideous.
  1. ugly or disgusting to look at.
    "his smile made him look more hideous than ever"
    synonyms:ugly, repulsive, repellent, unsightly, revolting, gruesome, grotesque, monstrous, ghastly;More
    awful, terrible, appalling, dreadful, frightful, horrible, horrendous, horrific, horrifying, shocking, sickening, unspeakable, abhorrent, heinous, abominable, foul, vile, odious, execrable;
    informalas ugly as sin;
    vulgar slangfugly
    "the scenes were too hideous to watch"
    antonyms:beautiful, pleasant

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree that the Elgin Dash is hideous.
Welcome to the forum where you will find the latest information, rumors, and opinions on the development and production of our Elio's. Using the forum search function will quickly direct you to the appropriate thread. We are a friendly helpful bunch so if you have a question, just ask. Welcome to the Elio journey and hope you find the experience informative, rewarding, and entertaining.

Top Bottom