• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would be the same as a tablet that was left in the car. except it wouldn't have a battery to overheat, and it would be protected from direct sunlight by the dashboard. It would be built into the dash, so you'd still have to take it apart to remove the unit. I'm meaning to use the tablet architecture as the platform for a single module dashboard 'brain' and display. It already contains all the electronics to support gps, bluetooth, voice command, hands-free, cameras, system monitoring and diagnostics, music library, etc. Essentially I mean use the 'guts' of a tablet cause it's already designed and ready to go. No development needed, just some simple programming. No reinventing the wheel. And since it is generic architecture you COULD replace the unit with the 'guts' of an off the shelf unit, which is çheaper than a decent gps alone.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The little berg near my home has a PD that will issue speeding citations for 1 MPH over the posted limit.
I want the easiest to read most accurate speedometer available for this vehicle.
slow_down_cop.jpg
helicopterf.jpg

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, my mom grew up in a village like that, the police department was self funded and as a result, predatory. Eventually a court case wound through pretty high slapping down on their main source of income and ruling that they did not have the jurisdiction to issue speeding tickets on the interstate passing through. After that, things got even worse for the locals until the town council finally voted to disband the police department and rely on the county sherrif's department in need.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup, my mom grew up in a village like that, the police department was self funded and as a result, predatory. Eventually a court case wound through pretty high slapping down on their main source of income and ruling that they did not have the jurisdiction to issue speeding tickets on the interstate passing through. After that, things got even worse for the locals until the town council finally voted to disband the police department and rely on the county sherrif's department in need.
Stationed at Ft Bragg two times. Fayetteville PD were infamous.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Stationed at Ft Bragg two times. Fayetteville PD were infamous.
When are we mere citizens going to realize that the police work for US? They exist only through our elected officials and we DO have the power to effect change as evidenced by Joshua's post. Too many municipalities see ticket books as a revenue stream and send out the collection force. I don't mean blatant, dangerous speeders, I mean penny-ante b.s. citations that are clearly ridiculous.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speed traps are always going to be with us - they're a good part of some notorious small towns' income. About the only defense is to know where the greedy *%&$ were and watch your speed carefully - and that's going to be really difficult with the SB dash. But small towns are finding other means of "revenue enhancement" . . . .

Cops in Mayport/Jaks Beach, FL used to hang out near state-owned liquor store's drive-up windows. Clerks would hand you an open beer, cop would pull you over for "open container" at the end of the driveway. Sailors were providing sweet profits for state and county employees. :rolleyes:

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Continental just announced a Head's Up display for cars. Since they're doing the instrument package, maybe this could become an option? The 'Top Gun' package could include sidewinder missiles mounted on the front wheel assemblies and a fire button on the gear shift. I dare any big SUV to cut me off ;)

More seriously, my 2006 Civic has a large, digital speedometer above the main dash, in it's own instrument cluster. Having those easy to read numbers just below my line of vision has been nice. Last I checked, Honda had kept that feature through 2 Civic 'updates', so it must be working for them. "Head's Up" would be even better. Certainly too expensive for the base car, though, and maybe too complicated for an "Final Assembly Center' option.

http://www.cnet.com/news/continental-offers-cheaper-head-up-displays-for-cars/

http://www.conti-online.com/www/aut...r/instrumentation_displays/pi_head_up_en.html

Top Bottom