• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You're going to open the dash to color the gauges? Let us know how that goes. ;)
I know you're joking, but EM has stated that the production instrument cluster will be an Elgin inspired design similar to the display units we've seen (P5 and stand shown on tour). Although, as far as I'm aware, they have not said that those display units designs are completely locked down and there is no room to tweak the design for production.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's about safety.

With a needle type speedometer, you are able to determine your speed with your peripheral vision so you can keep your eyes on the road.

Every other argument is just noise.

That's funny.
I never had a problem with the digital dash in my '89 Chrysler LeBaron.
42055d1309150884-1987-chrysler-lebaron-1500-img_0113.jpg

No dials. No needles.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I know you're joking, but EM has stated that the production instrument cluster will be an Elgin inspired design similar to the display units we've seen (P5 and stand shown on tour). Although, as far as I'm aware, they have not said that those display units designs are completely locked down and there is no room to tweak the design for production.
The discussions about the Elgin at EM got to be like a break point; all the way till they try not to talk about it there any more. We're not the only ones that aren't thrilled about it. That's why if you ask EM about the Elgin, you'll get a very short answer like "Thanks, we'll take it under consideration" (which translates to "we know, and we're not allowed to talk about it any more").
So just as the old saying goes, "Wish in one hand, and Spit (PC version) in the other and watch which ones fills up first"
Or "Don't hold your breath on that". For at least the Gen I Elio's.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At this point it is not an option - You get if you like it or not

Yes, nothing will change at all between now and production (massive sarcasm)

There will be options....
Like it or not.

There are ways to make the Elgin style instruments readable with peripheral vision. Color or shading schemes behind the numbers on the indicator wheel would be effective.

or... stay with me here.... OR... we could just use simple needles.

"we could use holograms or wire our brains DIRECTLY to the computer!!!!"

or we could just use needle gauges.

Why does it work in airplanes?
Because it is simple and effective

Why does it work in most cars?
Because it is simple and effective

Why do the MAJORITY of buyers want them?
Because it is simple and effective.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, arguing about it with you guys ultimately won't resolve anyone's issues with the instruments. So, I might just draw up some glanceable number wheel designs that maintain the clean Elgin aesthetic (probably borrowing from ones Sethodine drew up a while back, if I can find them) and bring them to the next Elio event that I can attend.

Top Bottom