• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Crowdfunding

userexec

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
it makes me wonder (and I do hope it is the case) if they have put in place a tighter authentication process than they had to start with .... no clue what that would involve
About the only thing you can do in this case would be require real-life validation like a drivers license or social security number (and then check that it's valid and the information provided matches) or send the user off-site to a verification service before allowing interaction, which isn't free. Another option would be to require a refundable downpayment on the amount from a valid credit card, but then that gets seriously thorny because you're handling money related to the campaign now and have to worry about chargebacks and disputes etc. They've probably gone with the optimal course here.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like there's some pretty extensive user tracking and form encryption + validation on that page, so they've prepared for bot exploits. As for a regular human faker, I don't think it would catch them. Not much you can do to prevent that apart from additional verification steps that would turn away people serious about it. Looks like the updates are done server-side as the page is generated, and based on how often the numbers change, I'd say they're accurate at that moment. They won't update over time without a reload since this isn't a reactive page like my tracker, but reactive is still pretty new and most sites aren't (and don't really need to be) set up for it. I like what they've done! :)
Darn these "geek speak" users; gets us old people all confused :wink: :blah: <just kidding>

I'm glad they have a solid verification and tracking process; tells me "Startengines" really know what they're doing; I like that.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
About the only thing you can do in this case would be require real-life validation like a drivers license or social security number (and then check that it's valid and the information provided matches) or send the user off-site to a verification service before allowing interaction, which isn't free. Another option would be to require a refundable downpayment on the amount from a valid credit card, but then that gets seriously thorny because you're handling money related to the campaign now and have to worry about chargebacks and disputes etc. They've probably gone with the optimal course here.

they could use some other, readily available, info to help in screening .... examples: does the person have a reservation and analysis of IP location ..... certainly not an end-all but it could help

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello Elio Friends!
I was searching for recent news and saw this ABC post on the recent funding. I see a exceptional growth in minimal 10 days which validates the Elio! Our Elio!

hdr_branding.jpg

• 584017_G.gif
  • 584021_G.gif

Elio Motors Launches Most Successful Disclosed Equity Crowdfunding Campaign to Date as Nearly 5,000 Investors Express Interest of more than $16 Million in Revolutionary Transportation Start-up
Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. WorldNow and this Station make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you have any questions or comments about this page please contact pressreleases@worldnow.com.

SOURCE Elio Motors

2012 JOBS Act Regulation A+ Allows Non-Accredited Investors to Buy in to Private Companies

TROY, Mich., July 8, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Elio Motors today announced it is off to a record-setting pace for its disclosed equity crowdfunding campaign, with more than $16 million in expressed non-binding interest from nearly 5,000 potential investors in just 19 days. Elio Motors' goal is to raise$25 million through the campaign.

Evarance

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note that the other 3 companies on start engine are not showing their progress.

I'm just so happy Elio decided to allow the progress information for their campaign to be displayed. I love the transparency and I love being able to watch the progress being made. Makes everything all the more exciting. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is so exciting !!! Be sure to re-fresh the start engine page to get latest numbers. I learn slowly. About verification of IP locations, I think that would be a great thing in this case. But, userexec says they look as if they are checking for bots (robots right?). Guess I will be happy, lol. Wouldn't it be great if they give us demographics of everybody who pledged? General location of course ... Great press release today too.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The ATVM (Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing) UEV (Ultra Efficient Vehicle) standard is 75 MPG highway.
So why would they hold Elio's feet to the fire for 84?
Unless it's just one of the anti petroleum bigots in the DoE flexing their muscle.
EM's goal is 84..............the DOE needs verification of the P5's ACTUAL mpg on the IAV engine. Hopefully, it meets the minimum UEV 75 mpg highway requirement. It only makes sense to wait for a running prototype before they can verify requirements and approve the loan. The ball is in EM's court to get the P5 built and tested.

If I was the head of the ATVM loan committee, I would require MPG verification by taking taking the P5 on a 2 day ride and drive before I approved the loan.

Last edited:

userexec

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If I was the head of the ATVM loan committee, I would require MPG verification by taking taking the P5 on a 2 day ride and drive before I approved the loan.
Same. And I'd be thinking the whole time about how long it would take them to catch me if I just happened to um... get lost and accidentally keep it.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe and IMO elio changed the goal from $50 million to $25 million because they want to cut it off earlier than at the end of the month !?! They can file paperwork sooner.

it was mentioned several times when the P5 was introduced that Paul is pushing hard to expedite the process .... it would make sense that if $25M can get them to whatever the next major level is, he'd want to get the money in the account ASAP

Top Bottom