• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Crowdfunding

Graemexx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I, for one, would like to hear your research conclusions and considerations. Maybe best in another thread.
It certainly would be interesting to see how a few hundred hours of research compares to a few thousand.

Mine more in the hardware, production and marketing, not so much in the financials.
My interests were only financial, because I was not interested in the actual vehicle I would see things differently. In the end I lacked objectivity and cared for the project because of the reservation holders. My dislike of the company became stronger. I hope you get your car (autocycle)

Reactions: Ekh

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Poll.
Could EM raise $50mil if they left it up another month?
Probably not. (soft "no"). This is the Wonderful World of the Web -- where the attention span is about that of a manic chipmunk, and where infantile boredom sets in fast.

And frankly, I am doubtful about the validity of much of the post-goal punters (see earlier post for definition). It may even be a more subtle troll attack. Too much, too soon = indigestion. But in the case of the Web, a seven days wonder is an eternity, so hanging in there for another couple of months without a strong stimulus like ATVM loan guarantee, probably wouldn't get us to 50 million. Given the stimulus? In a heartbeat.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My interests were only financial, because I was not interested in the actual vehicle I would see things differently. In the end I lacked objectivity and cared for the project because of the reservation holders. My dislike of the company became stronger. I hope you get your car (autocycle)
I agree with you about the level of risk, but disagree with you about your dislike of the car itself. I do appreciate your candor, and like some others, would appreciate learning more about your research. I could not in conscience recommend investing anything other than "play money" in Elio -- but lots of people have much grander notions of play money than I do, and more power to them. But investment in terms of supporting the project, without banking on its being a profitable investment in terms of cash -- now that I can and do support.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Probably not. (soft "no"). This is the Wonderful World of the Web -- where the attention span is about that of a manic chipmunk, and where infantile boredom sets in fast.

And frankly, I am doubtful about the validity of much of the post-goal punters (see earlier post for definition). It may even be a more subtle troll attack. Too much, too soon = indigestion. But in the case of the Web, a seven days wonder is an eternity, so hanging in there for another couple of months without a strong stimulus like ATVM loan guarantee, probably wouldn't get us to 50 million. Given the stimulus? In a heartbeat.
Would you have that doubt if EM were introduced through Product Hunt's service to a large number of potential investors and new media outlets? Or do you think Elio has already hit mainstream awareness, so there really aren't many people who would be interested who've not already jumped in one way or the other?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Yes, I certainly understand. From a pure financial standpoint, which is always on the basis of being mirco-focused on self interest, there are other things that are more opportune. This one would not be attractive based on unknown risks.

It is the very reason that the car has not existed before. Of course this kind of in-the-box thinking is not what drove the first Ford model for the masses. There was no prospectus that made that a reasonable risk at the time. Most great adventures are like that.

There are many many things that require an emotional personal involvement before it 'makes sense'. For example, this issue of saving more money than the car costs. It was never discovered until highly interested people took a deep enough look at it. With out that interest, there was no reason to analyze it that deeply. The price of the car at 6800, could only be discovered by 'prejudiced thinking' that it IS possible.

When this takes hold, I'm going to be soooo much happier than having lived a risk free, uneventful and unemotional life.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Would you have that doubt if EM were introduced through Product Hunt's service to a large number of potential investors and new media outlets? Or do you think Elio has already hit mainstream awareness, so there really aren't many people who would be interested who've not already jumped in one way or the other?
John, that's an excellent question. My doubts about the validity of the latter-day "investors" (to coin a term; I fear they're definitely not saints) stems in part from having been through one very disruptive series of troll attacks already. If we're not dealing with trolls, and the ES campaign has "gone viral" amongst web-oriented folks, when a sober-sided account of the risks is presented -- which Elio must certainly do to comply with SEC regs -- I suspect a higher drop out rate from these latter-day-punters than from the pre-goal crowd (trolls excluded). This is long-winded way of saying I'm concerned about the quality of the "expressions of interest" that are coming in so briskly just now.

I don't want to see people playing in this pool because they can't afford it or don't understand the risks involved. I also don't want to see people signing up who have no intention of actually writing checks. Both classes hurt EM in the long run. Accordingly, I think I'd give it another week or two, declare a victory, and leave. The actual solicitation can be for more (or less) than the face value of the SE test-the-waters campaign. Also, if I were EM, I'd want to get cracking on the formal pitch to the SEC sooner rather than later ... and ask for more in the formal solicitation based on the success of this partial one. They can only do $50 million per campaign, and only one campaign per year. tick-tick-tick-tick.

e

Top Bottom