• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electric Elio?

nimblemotors

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Will there be an Electric Elio?

There is already another 3-wheeled EV that is going to be made.
the-indy-one.com

videoposter.png

satx

Elio Addict
Reaction score
$10K isn't too bad, but the 10s if not 100s of hours obtaining the parts, building, testing? nein, danke.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will there be an Electric Elio?

Welcome to the forum, nimble. :)

All your questions are answered by Elio at the link below in my signature.

Personally, the attraction for me is the Elio is not an electric. Using very little gasoline is much better for the environment in the majority of the coal-burning USA. And gasoline will have 600+ miles of range vs. 40-80 for electric.

Thomas Malkin

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
An electric Elio would, with current tech, get about 200-300 miles with a small battery pack. With a hydrogen fuel cell, triple that. It only weighs a thousand pounds... Take out the engine and related components, maybe 750 pounds? No oil pan, pumps, gas tank. Just a motor and a two hundred pound battery pack.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
An electric Elio would, with current tech, get about 200-300 miles with a small battery pack. With a hydrogen fuel cell, triple that. It only weighs a thousand pounds... Take out the engine and related components, maybe 750 pounds? No oil pan, pumps, gas tank. Just a motor and a two hundred pound battery pack.

Every time someone comes out with these 200-300 mile guestimates they are including some unspoken assumptions.
Like steady state speed of about 55 to 65 MPH --- (in your dreams)
Outside temperature of about 75 degrees. --- (not in the south)
Hours between sunrise and sunset. --- (only if you work nights)
Throw any of those assumptions out and the calculations fall flat on their face.
And don't forget to throw in the construction variable.
So lets crank it up to 75 - 80 MPH, 30 degrees f, and between 10PM and 4AM.
I'm thinking your range just took a major, major hit.
Not to mention stop and go construction.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Every time someone comes out with these 200-300 mile guestimates they are including some unspoken assumptions.
Like steady state speed of about 55 to 65 MPH --- (in your dreams)
Outside temperature of about 75 degrees. --- (not in the south)
Hours between sunrise and sunset. --- (only if you work nights)
Throw any of those assumptions out and the calculations fall flat on their face.
And don't forget to throw in the construction variable.
So lets crank it up to 75 - 80 MPH, 30 degrees f, and between 10PM and 4AM.
I'm thinking your range just took a major, major hit.
Not to mention stop and go construction.
Nothing is impossible to those who don't have to do it.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome nimblemotors! Good luck with the Indy-One. I like the concept. Idea: How about a Nimblemotor's EV Retrofit Kit for the Elio (EVElio)? I will be watching your progress.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I think your weight estimates are rounded a bit. The projected weight of an Elio is 1200 pounds, not 1000. I'd expect the engine that you would replace would probably be less than 200 pounds even if you include 60 pounds for a full tank but since we are rounding you are still sitting at 1000 pounds, not 750, and that is before you add back in the electric motor and battery packs. Something tells me that your electric elio might actually weight more than a gas elio.

Top Bottom