• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ditch The 3 Cylinder?

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Seen some comments about the so called "metro 3 cylinder" causing vibrations like having a dead cylinder.
Just to clear some issues 1 cylinder, 3,5 7, or anything else does not matter in the case of rough running or concerns for vibration.
It is all down to the crankshaft design.There is 360 degrees in a circle so no mater how many cylinders whether 1 cylinder or anywhere to a million as long as the crankshaft to piston timing is evenly divided the engine can run smooth as glass.

One interesting thought on this: it's a Geo Metro engine. Has very little to do with the eventual engine, so any problems with the Metro engine now really won't map to the eventual engine. Can I get an "amen"?? :D

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One interesting thought on this: it's a Geo Metro engine. Has very little to do with the eventual engine, so any problems with the Metro engine now really won't map to the eventual engine. Can I get an "amen"?? :D
amen.jpg
:D

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not exactly. Remember this is a 4 stroke engine. A 3 fires 2 in one revolution, 1 in the next.

There are ways to smooth em out, but they're not an inherently balanced design.

Only if two connecting rods share 1 crank journal. because it is a 4-cycle, 360* x 2 = 720* . And 720 divided by 3 = 240. So if the 3 crankshaft journals are separated by 240* it will "fire" evenly.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Only if two connecting rods share 1 crank journal. because it is a 4-cycle, 360* x 2 = 720* . And 720 divided by 3 = 240. So if the 3 crankshaft journals are separated by 240* it will "fire" evenly.
Yeah. I'm still "technically" right though. Assume firing at 20°Btdc. It will fire at 220° (first rotation) then 100 and 340 on the second. :cool:

Top Bottom