• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3d Model

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very cool concept, but I think you just increased the width possibly making a real dent in mpg, though if you're telling me there's a BMW S70/2 yanked out of a McLaren F1, under the hood, I'm all in! :D
Actually the body width is within .5 in, wheel track is the same. But you are right that the total cross-section is more, and the weight will be more. In trade the coefficient will be lower and you get trunk space. In fact soooo much that you could put batteries and motors in there and make this an all wheel drive electric hybrid. For example, something like the motor drive below could be added to the CV joints. If the Elio is a standard transmission, just leave it out of gear and consider the gas engine as just a range extender. With the right batteries, controller(s) and motors you could get 1000hp out of it for 5min or so and still keep high efficiency(at other output levels). ammmm, let's not talk cost.

Definitely mad-man dreaming. This is just play while we wait for more interesting things to happen at EM. But lots of surprising things can come from play.
Link to model=> https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=uf4ca287b-b19d-456b-af3c-339c636dd423
SuperSectedx.png
HybridMotor.png

Last edited:

Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cool factor ten here! The whole front end tilts! What do you think?
Credit the picture to Scott Moore from EMOA on facebook. Posted with his permission.
I like that. Wonder if it could go one step further and make the front end "easily" removable. Any guesses on the weight of the front end? Couldn't be much.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like that. Wonder if it could go one step further and make the front end "easily" removable. Any guesses on the weight of the front end? Couldn't be much.

I had a one-piece tilt front end on a Baja Bug I had waaay back in the day. It was a little awkward to lift by yourself, but didn't weigh much at all. That said, I'm thinking the 'original' Elio configuration would have to be lighter.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Still considering that Tron Cycle idea. What ever I come up with, it's got to actually work in real life. Which it didn't have to do in a movie. And need to use as much Elio hardware as possible.
But the internet is full of Tron knock-offs. Some even work, but maybe not very safely. Then too, should it be a one or two occupant?

Tron Cycle.jpg

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ya know, Ari. With an aluminum framed version of an Elio to lighten it up a bit, that would fly.
View attachment 4935
:) , I did my best with the short investment of time I was willing to put in to it. I had to guess at the CG, but that's easy to adjust by moving the main wing fore or aft. I did zero effort to calculate wing loading or anything like that.

The flaws left are how to get flight controls linked to the pilot (fly by wire is easiest to build, but hardest to get right), and integrating the attachment support structure into the chassis. Oh one more, with the total CG moved backward, it may be exceptionally tippy in the wind when standing on the ground. But wing tip wheels might be a solution for that, Or possibly moving the wing/ and top engines more forward.

I should also upgrade the wheel nacelles for such a craft.

The whole concept could have been initiated as a canard aircraft, but the wing tip wheels would have been imperative at that point, IMHO. The other interesting case could be a diamond wing aircraft.

But it's fun to play with, certainly for the price of the donor car, it would have been a good start.
ElioAirplane.png

Top Bottom