• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3d Model

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WOW! :eek: That is quite a list.

They'll probably never replace injection molding and other mass production practices, but for prototyping and checking for functionality, you can't beat the ability to create an object you can hold in your hand...the future for sure.

By the way, the RepRap comes with the files to make all the plastic parts of itself. 3D printers making 3D printers. :cool:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I has some request for orthographic projections of the Year1 model in 4 views. These have been normalized to each other such that if you use the same print set-up for each they will be in the same physical scale on the paper print. I checked it by printing it myself, so it's reasonably close.
the 4 are attached here. I also included a 2in ( 3.05cm ) grid in the images.
ElioYear1Back.png
ElioYear1Front.png
ElioYear1Right.png
ElioYear1Top.png

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I won't be updating every single style model to the Year1 body, but I just had to see what the Super would look like, plus, you know some color changes too. The longer nose is even more aircraft like than the P4 !
year1super-png.4779.png

Link to 3d: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=ud5f18b31-6a2d-4544-a1b1-e2ad78a7be2e

You have me seriously considering chopping the top off my second Elio to create something along these lines. However I am thinking of getting rid of the door to reinforce the chassis so I can have two seats fully enclosed in a polycarbonate canopy. Behind a windscreen section the canopy could be made to slide rearwards for ingress/egress and also be removable.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You have me seriously considering chopping the top off my second Elio to create something along these lines. However I am thinking of getting rid of the door to reinforce the chassis so I can have two seats fully enclosed in a polycarbonate canopy. Behind a windscreen section the canopy could be made to slide rearwards for ingress/egress and also be removable.
Interesting.
I wonder what that would do for licensing / helmets / safety ratings.
It'd look GREAT though!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting.
I wonder what that would do for licensing / helmets / safety ratings.
It'd look GREAT though!

A modification like that would definitely look great however it could cause issues depending on state laws.

Modifying the structure of a vehicle can definitely alter the safety performance however as this will be a motorcycle in most states you should be able to get away with almost any kind of modification and still be legal.

In my state, GA, while the Elio is registered as a motorcycle we will not need a motorcycle license as that is only required for vehicles ridden on a saddle so that would not change after this type of mod. Our helmet law exception is only for fully enclosed vehicles so riding open air may require a helmet. Either way I would likely keep some of the style of helmet below around for open air cruising and/or to really have fun with people while cruising inside the canopy. :cool:

diesel_helmets.jpg

Top Bottom