• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3d Model

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey you two;
Some great ideas here, but I just have to ask. What is the fascination with those ridiculous rims and stupid skinny tires, :eek: they just fly
in the face of all that I know regarding tire and handling technology? Not to mention to poor to punishing ride they would give our
little Elio.:rolleyes: How about some nice vintage "American Mags" or cool chrome wires. ;):)

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey you two;
Some great ideas here, but I just have to ask. What is the fascination with those ridiculous rims and stupid skinny tires, :eek: they just fly
in the face of all that I know regarding tire and handling technology? Not to mention to poor to punishing ride they would give our
little Elio.:rolleyes: How about some nice vintage "American Mags" or cool chrome wires. ;):)

Chrome wires! Now yer talkin'! :D

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll have to do a little searching, but I think it was a remark G1 made in the "600lb. Gorilla" thread. It was all in fun...but it might be cool to have one to throw on the never ending "gas cap" thread.

As for the SketchUp 2015, would those be downloadable from the 3DWarehouse site? If so, that would be fantastic! I'm pretty sure the FreeCAD software I've got can convert the .dwg and .dxf files. Going to be pretty busy for the next couple of days, but after Thanksgiving, I'm hoping to log some "couch time" with the new laptop. :D
Yes, the 2015 is the latest sketchup program. you download it and I think you have 30days of the full version. Then it switches to the free version. I suspect the export option tighten down at that point.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey you two;
Well, it's a tradeoff between cool looks with race handling versus high mileage. The Elio weighs in at about half of the smallest cars, and that means the optimal tire only needs to be half that too for best mileage. To some degree full wheel covers can hide the narrowness.
So with 185's (or 195's) what mileage would you get versus 145s (or 155's)? It also depends on the tire compound. So does 80 or even 70mpg sound worth it for the preferred look? It's up to the owner of course.

That DONK version has tires costing possibly as much as the Elio itself, and will kill the MPG down to maybe 65mpg. All just for 'the look'.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok, cool I'd like to see that, which wheel cover shape (with exposure) would you prefer?

Exposure? I like the gray version you did in 3Dwarehouse, fendered w/exposed outers. And as for wheels. Always did like Truespoke wheels. They look cool on just about anything.
truespoke.jpg

And the BBS rims (got a set just like these for the 914) look pretty cool too....and weigh about half as much as the Truespokes.

BBS.jpg

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The BBS are a 20point pattern, and a flat layout as well. I'll try that. This is custom, so what rim size? What tire width? Also, what color layout? We may a well get in a whole custom accessorized Elio on this one, add a tail, add anything that fits with the 70's racing style those rims suggest? I will put the clear panel on this one.

I'll use the TrueSpokes on a classic styling I'm planning.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The BBS are a 20point pattern, and a flat layout as well. I'll try that. This is custom, so what rim size? What tire width? Also, what color layout? We may a well get in a whole custom accessorized Elio on this one, add a tail, add anything that fits with the 70's racing style those rims suggest? I will put the clear panel on this one.

I'll use the TrueSpokes on a classic styling I'm planning.

Well, the BBS's I've got are 15x7 and 15x8, but I'm sure they (or aftermarket copies) come in a 15x5.5 with a 4x130 bolt pattern for Bugs and stock 914's. My '73 was actually built to accept a 350 Chevy, so the front and rear rotors were swapped with 911 stuff to handle the extra stresses.

DScott

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great job Ari! That stinks that you can't print them. I would have ordered 3 at least! Okay so if Elio Motors is reading this forum, here's my request. Ari did a great job on his 3D model and while we understand the legalize of the whole thing, I would still love to have a couple of models to give my grandsons for Chanukah or birthdays. So if you have someone working on it, how soon will a model be available? Will it be a hot wheels style or like Ari's, a plastic 3D rendition?

add revenue to Elio.. give the specs to Testor or other model maker and have them make a model kit..

Top Bottom