• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3/4/2015 - Elio Motors Tech Talk V58 - Recent Frontal Crash Test Simulation

mag44

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
"I don't believe that there is any doubt that it will be the safest motorcycle on the market"

JEBAR, I suggest you find out what an Elio is first. It's not a MC. DA.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I seem to remember Paul saying in an interview that any frontal impact would trigger all three airbags at the same time, which would mean that simulation would be inaccurate. Here's a pretty positive article from our old buddies at Master Herald. I remember when these guys were haters.
http://masterherald.com/risk-involved-in-elio-motors-could-be-worth-it-in-the-long-run/11749/

nice to see a well balanced article .... I remember hearing about triggering all three airbags .... the wisdom of having them all go will no doubt be tested and the exact way to handle them will no doubt be determined .... does anyone know if the side air bags would provide protection for the passenger

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
"I don't believe that there is any doubt that it will be the safest motorcycle on the market"

JEBAR, I suggest you find out what an Elio is first. It's not a MC. DA.

by federal law it's a motorcycle .... end of that story .... states are in the process of creating a subset to the motorcycle classification which will be noted as an autocycle ....can you name any vehicle within the federal motorcycle classification that is safer ... can you name any vehicle that will fall within the autocycle subset that is safer

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
This certainly counts as progress in my book. I was kind of hoping they'd put the shoulder strap on the right shoulder. I've yet to see a self retracting seatbelt that worked every time. They always end up hanging out the bottom of the door when the car is parked, in the elements. On the right side, it would just coil up on the floor.

Not sure if this will help with the "It's not safe" crowd or not. Given the people I saw when the Elio was in Chicagoland, 172 pounds is probably a bit light for the driver. :rolleyes:

LOL, well done. And good point about the seatbelt showing on the left shoulder. Would make sense in real-world terms to have it be on the right shoulder.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
LOL, well done. And good point about the seatbelt showing on the left shoulder. Would make sense in real-world terms to have it be on the right shoulder.

I asked Jerome at the tour stop in Charlotte in December .... he said the belt would be attached on the driver's right side wall .... however, that could certainly change

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
by federal law it's a motorcycle .... end of that story .... states are in the process of creating a subset to the motorcycle classification which will be noted as an autocycle ....can you name any vehicle within the federal motorcycle classification that is safer ... can you name any vehicle that will fall within the autocycle subset that is safer

Unfortunately it is not really the end of the story and this discussion will continue on even though it really does not matter what anyone believes this vehicle should be classified as. While the Elio vehicle is indeed a motorcycle according to the feds, solely because of having three wheels, and the states will indeed classify it a number of ways it is also true that EM marketing will continue referring to it mainly as a vehicle or car instead of as a motorcycle due to the negative safety connotations that would have in the minds of many potential mass market buyers.

EM only mentions the motorcycle classification in the details as it wants people to be drawn in and interested before they realize this but at the same time the impact is minimized by pointing out a motorcycle license and helmet is not needed (hopefully in all states by the time the Elio goes on sale) plus there are some benefits to being a motorcycle like HOV lane access. EM knows that many potential mass market buyers would simply tune any more informaiton out if they openly advertised the vehicle as a motorcycle.

Last edited:

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately it is not really the end of the story and this discussion will continue on even though it really does not matter what anyone believes this vehicle should be classified as. While the Elio vehicle is indeed a motorcycle according to the feds, solely because of having three wheels, and the states will indeed classify it a number of ways it is also true that EM marketing will continue referring to it mainly as a vehicle or car instead of as a motorcycle due to the negative safety connotations that would have in the minds of many potential mass market buyers.
I hope they don't push the car thing too far. We might get kicked out of the H.O.V. lanes and have to buy auto insurance.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
from reading I've seen, in their marketing EM dances all around what they call it .... the only place I recall seeing it marketed as a car has been when they refer to it as an "and car" or in the statement below .... in most cases the do not refer to it as a car or as a motorcycle .... the words affordable transportation and vehicle are used often

"Paul set out with a clear mission:

To provide a fun-to-drive, super-economical personal transportation alternative, that’s affordable, safe, and environmentally friendly. We are committed to the American dream, creating American jobs, and bringing American automotive ingenuity to every vehicle we build. This is, and will remain our mission at Elio.

The vehicle is great for minivan and SUV owners who want an economical commuter car…for students looking to get around campus…for “clunker” owners who’d like an affordable new vehicle under warranty…for pure enthusiasts, who just want something new and fun. At $6,800, the Elio works for just about everyone."

they acknowledge that one of their largest anticipated customer groups is motorcycle riders/former motorcycle riders .... they certainly do hope from automobile to motorcycle classifications as it meets there needs .... to me that's smart marketing

bottom line, by law as reflected in the title and vin number it will receive, its a motorcycle/autocycle
in advertising, it will be whatever they need it to be so as to sell them most vehicles

to me those things aren't mutually exclusive

Last edited:
Top Bottom