• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will It Float ??

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
well the VW beetle actually advertised it, I remember the ads, very effective.

I used to drive a school bus in rural NW Oklahoma. Not all the creeks had bridges. Some were just paved with concrete with a drainage tube under the top layer. When the water flowed over the top, we used a vertical measuring board to gauge the depth. If it was under a certain mark (1 foot I think) we could drive through and not take the longer route to a bridge. One morning I took the route in my '62 VW Bug and forgot to look at the depth marker. It was deep enough that my wheels left the roadway for a couple of LOOONG seconds and I began to float downstream. My momentum carried me far enough to reach the roadway and I made it through. VW's do float, at least for a bit.

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
well the VW beetle actually advertised it, I remember the ads, very effective.

if only Ted Kennedy had been driving a VW. Who knows what would have happened? Mary Jo still alive? Teddy gets impeached as the first over drunk alcoholic president?

Jayne Shelby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You'd have to get your Elio equipped with paddle tires and special sea going intake and exhaust systems. In order to be Coast Guard approved additional lighting will be required in addition to special seating which can be removed for use as a floatation device. All that being said I will just keep my Elio on land.

Top Bottom